Honored Contributor

Re: Now I've Heard Everything!

@Reba055 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Whatever happened to hard time?  Breaking rocks and the sort?  Lots of roads need to be repaved, bridges rehabed, forests cleared.  Hard intense labor.  Meanwhile, things get done in this nation.  Heck, our freeways here have loads of litter to keep em all busy for many years. 

Here's your answer! if our prisons were like third world countries you'd see how fast people would straighten up. 

No responsibility or accountability has led to the disaster we have now. And how anyone can think that REWARDING that behavior is a good idea is beyond logic. 

Stop the endless cycle of the revolving door in and out of prison, many from generation to generation. As Love Roses said, there's plenty of work to be done. Take away all TV, creature comforts, and stop making excuses for criminal behavior. Grow a backbone and perhaps they will too. 

This is infuriates me when so many kids and our elderly suffer we provide medical, dental, meals, AC, education, etc to criminals!!

I'd give this post 100 hearts if I could.

Prison, while not anyting most of us here would consider easy or desirable, those inside want to be there. It is an underworld all unto itself. And I have to agree, that if it were a much more basic place, with a lot of physical labor involved, many would do what it would take to stay out. Not everyone, but many.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Let me say up front that I am a fairly liberal person. Nevertheless, this idea is pure lunacy, a total abrogation of governmental and civic responsibility, and a complete admission of failure. I think there are people out there, in the public and private sectors, who just might be able to come up with some better ideas for spending our money to help prevent crime.

This is not a new problem which means there has been plenty of time for either sector to come up with that better idea. Since they haven't, this is what was proposed. As I said before, I'd rather fund a program aimed at keeping people out of prison than pay to house them which is far more expensive. Not to mention that jails are already overcrowded and inmates with drug-related crimes are being released due to overcrowding. If there's something we can do to reduce the recidivism rate I'd say it's worthwhile. It's far better than sitting back and doing nothng as the cycle repeats itself.

Commit a crime...go to jail. Why didn't we think of that sooner? Oh, wait...

Respected Contributor

It is sad that we have gotten to the point of coddling the vermin.

A few years ago in my state it was discovered that after a prison re-model the inmates were watching brand new 60" HD TV's on the taxpayers dime.

Needless to say, those were removed rather quickly.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Breaking rocks?  At $60,000 a year per inmate in New York State?  A stick of dynamite or a pneumatic drill would work better.

Punishment punishes.  It doesn't help improve behavior for the future.  That is worth caring about because prison costs are exorbitant.

We care more about punishment than early childhood nutrition or highway safety or food safety.  Something's really wrong here.

Some peope are blinded by the shining light of their moral superiority. To the extent that they derive pleasure from the suffering of those they feel better than. That's why we have ideas like feed them bread and water, let them kill each other, etc. 

No thought to the big picture that includes the reality that most of the incarcerated eventually get back out in society. 

There are people who are morally superior to much of what resides in our prisons. 

There are the young innocent children, the elderly who worked and contributed their entire lives that choose between medicine or heat, there are the people who go and work two or three jobs to earn their way in life rather than take from others.

The truly big picture is lets think up ways to put that tax money back into the pockets of those who earned it/deserve it, and not give it to a bunch of potential loosers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Breaking rocks?  At $60,000 a year per inmate in New York State?  A stick of dynamite or a pneumatic drill would work better.

Punishment punishes.  It doesn't help improve behavior for the future.  That is worth caring about because prison costs are exorbitant.

We care more about punishment than early childhood nutrition or highway safety or food safety.  Something's really wrong here.

Some peope are blinded by the shining light of their moral superiority. To the extent that they derive pleasure from the suffering of those they feel better than. That's why we have ideas like feed them bread and water, let them kill each other, etc. 

No thought to the big picture that includes the reality that most of the incarcerated eventually get back out in society. 

There are people who are morally superior to much of what resides in our prisons. 

There are the young innocent children, the elderly who worked and contributed their entire lives that choose between medicine or heat, there are the people who go and work two or three jobs to earn their way in life rather than take from others.

The truly big picture is lets think up ways to put that tax money back into the pockets of those who earned it/deserve it, and not give it to a bunch of potential loosers.

I think that's the point. Rather than spend several times what the program costs by housing prisioners, spend money to keep them out of jail. It's not as if you can ignore what it cost to keep a community safe, let all the criminals go, and put that money in dear granny's bank account. We have to try to find better answers than what we have now. 

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Let me say up front that I am a fairly liberal person. Nevertheless, this idea is pure lunacy, a total abrogation of governmental and civic responsibility, and a complete admission of failure. I think there are people out there, in the public and private sectors, who just might be able to come up with some better ideas for spending our money to help prevent crime.

This is not a new problem which means there has been plenty of time for either sector to come up with that better idea. Since they haven't, this is what was proposed. As I said before, I'd rather fund a program aimed at keeping people out of prison than pay to house them which is far more expensive. Not to mention that jails are already overcrowded and inmates with drug-related crimes are being released due to overcrowding. If there's something we can do to reduce the recidivism rate I'd say it's worthwhile. It's far better than sitting back and doing nothng as the cycle repeats itself.

Commit a crime...go to jail. Why didn't we think of that sooner? Oh, wait...

That's half the problem. They aren't doing the time. They are doing a fraction of their sentences due to overcrowding and turned back out in the street, only to do the same all over again. If you get a 15 year sentence and do 15 years (not happening today) there wouldn't be so many criminals on the street. 

They need to stop locking up the mentally ill and get off the "war on drugs" mandatory sentences that are way outdated and not intended for a casual user. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

I don't know what would work, but I do have strong feelings that what we're currently doing as a society does not work.

That makes me favor experimental programs that could make a difference. Nothing will be perfect, so for me the question becomes -  why not try?

I really do see the logic in your point, but my question would be, where does it stop? How many people will expect this latest hand out?

Are the people being targeted with this program the same one's that we have already thrown a ton of taxpayer money at, through welfare, free public schools, after school programs, free breakfast and luches, free medical care, pubic house, welfare to work training programs etc. etc. etc. If all this government intervention at the early stages of their lives didn't get them on the straight and narrow, why should this?

I just find something fundamentally wrong with bribing people to do what they should.

And do they get a stipend indefinitely as long as they stay out of trouble? Because if not,I bet the recidivism rate would be high since there is no more incentives (I.e. Money).

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@corita wrote:

Here is a novel idea: tell would be lawbreakers ...if you do not break the law, you will not go to jail ...end of story!!  No payment for good behavior, but bad behavior will send you to jail.   I am so tired of coddling people who might, or do, violate the country's laws.

Yeah...pretty sure we already tried that.

No, we didn't. We excuse, place on probation, slap on the wrist, if we even bring charges and prosecute at all. 

Then once inside, they get better food, healthcare, mental health care, rehab, and education than a significant portion of the population living outside the walls. 

They establish their own society, manage to import drugs, wield power etc.

Prison hasn't really been a punishment for a very long time.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@corita wrote:

Here is a novel idea: tell would be lawbreakers ...if you do not break the law, you will not go to jail ...end of story!!  No payment for good behavior, but bad behavior will send you to jail.   I am so tired of coddling people who might, or do, violate the country's laws.

No, we didn't. We excuse, place on probation, slap on the wrist, if we even bring charges and prosecute at all. 

Then once inside, they get better food, healthcare, mental health care, rehab, and education than a significant portion of the population living outside the walls. 

That's exactly why people don't get it. You make a life for yourself wherever you are. Even in prison. And...you LIVE a life. With all that you need, healthcare, etc,etc. it is disgusting. Go back to chain gangs.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@corita wrote:

That's exactly why people don't get it. You make a life for yourself wherever you are. Even in prison. And...you LIVE a life. With all that you need, healthcare, etc,etc. it is disgusting. Go back to chain gangs.

Maricopa County AZ has chain gangs.........and we also have a pretty high rate of violent crime................

♥Surface of the Sun♥