Honored Contributor

Re: Now I've Heard Everything!

Freaking rediculous. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

The only time I MAY consider this idea is if the criminals (or potential criminals) that agree to the program, if they commit a crime during that time period, they will have to PAY the equivalent amount of of what the stipend would have been, PLUS all the costs associated with arresting them, court proceedings, etc. Now THAT would be a better solution but guaranteed, the majority would a.) not sign up for the program at all, or b.) just default on paying all the fees anyway.

HappyDaze - I BELIEVE THAT !  What fairy land do you live in ?  These people that 'they will have to pay the equivalent amount of what the stipend would have been ...' seriously - cold day in h-e-2hockeysticks  anyone will see that money.

They do NOT CARE - they do not care if they live or die.  

Something has to start in the HOME.  

This money needs to go towards Kids welfare, Education and taking the City Kids out of the City in the summer time so they will SEE FOR THEMSELVES there is better life out there for them.

If anybody should get paid by the City it is the victims.

Esteemed Contributor

Paying people NOT to commit a crime???  It is lunacy!!  A "possible" law breaker recives thousands of dollars taken from taxes paid by those who do not commit crimes???   Watching and hearing all that is currently going in the USA...all  I can think of is....somebody up there, please help this country!!  What the H*ck is going on????  Have most lost their common sense of civility, responsibility, community, decency???  I am getting more and more concerned about the future of this country...

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

Paying people NOT to commit a crime???  It is lunacy!!  A "possible" law breaker recives thousands of dollars taken from taxes paid by those who do not commit crimes???   Watching and hearing all that is currently going in the USA...all  I can think of is....somebody up there, please help this country!!  What the H*ck is going on????  Have most lost their common sense of civility, responsibility, community, decency???  I am getting more and more concerned about the future of this country...

AMEN!

Esteemed Contributor

Whatever happened to hard time?  Breaking rocks and the sort?  Lots of roads need to be repaved, bridges rehabed, forests cleared.  Hard intense labor.  Meanwhile, things get done in this nation.  Heck, our freeways here have loads of litter to keep em all busy for many years. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Whatever happened to hard time?  Breaking rocks and the sort?  Lots of roads need to be repaved, bridges rehabed, forests cleared.  Hard intense labor.  Meanwhile, things get done in this nation.  Heck, our freeways here have loads of litter to keep em all busy for many years. 

haha, what  a joke! Many places have deemed it "cruel and unusual punishment" to make prisoners do any work, including picking up trash along the highways. Ridiculous, right? Why should they not "earn their keep" while being in prison? Plus I think it gives them something to do to keep them out of more trouble- idle hands lead to idle minds, and all that.

Respected Contributor

Annabelle, I always enjoy your posts and think this is a good one.

But, do all of you who think it is a bad idea imagine that putting someone in prison for years and years costs nothing?

It costs us all more than people seem to realize.  Prison is so expensive that in my state, FL, many of the prisons are run by subcontractors, who charge even more money.

If a program really does reduce crime, it reduces crime.  Who cares what the right wing media do to make that look bad?  Crime reduction is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Burnsite wrote:

Annabelle, I always enjoy your posts and think this is a good one.

But, do all of you who think it is a bad idea imagine that putting someone in prison for years and years costs nothing?

It costs us all more than people seem to realize.  Prison is so expensive that in my state, FL, many of the prisons are run by subcontractors, who charge even more money.

If a program really does reduce crime, it reduces crime.  Who cares what the right wing media do to make that look bad?  Crime reduction is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I would much rather spend that money on providing services and programs for children that are more vulnerable to becoming criminals to stop that behaviour from the beginning, like someone else posted, than pay for someone to not commit a crime. Ridiculous.

This is the problem with our society- we don't make people take personal responsibility or spend our tax payer money wisely with preventative type programs at the earliest stages- instead we always try to firefight and reward people for doing what they should be doing as responsible, law abiding citizens.

The media has no influence in my opinions, btw. I can think for myself. There are other ways to reduce crime that are much more responsible and impactful than this bs.

ETA: this program only offers this to a select few individuals whereas more comprehensive approaches can affect a much larger number of people. Those programs is where this money should go. Give children a safe place to play, do their homework, spend their afterschool time, etc. Things like that. THAT I could back.

Respected Contributor

Punishment is I guess a pleasure for many.  I wish people would settle for common sense, and what might work, changing the tipping point back into incarceration, which is a major budget item in most states.  Huge money is made by the private prison contractors. 

It's not as if the money we are not spending on preventing re-incarceration goes to children.  It doesn't.  Children are also totally ignored in today's conversations about justice, though 1 in 5 goes hungry in the US.

We have lousy priorities.  It's all about power.  No interest in investment to build and support community strength.

It's all about rhetoric, nothing about the waste of human talent in our day.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what would work, but I do have strong feelings that what we're currently doing as a society does not work.

That makes me favor experimental programs that could make a difference. Nothing will be perfect, so for me the question becomes -  why not try?