Honored Contributor

First of all this might get deleted because (although I don't know why) it might become controversial.

First some rules.  Hopefully we can all discuss this without 'blowing up' and charging full speed.

I think this possible action (you'll see it in a minute) by the Washington, DC council (as I see it) is a sign that society (some in society) feel like they've lost total control and are giving up.

I am hoping this can be seen by at least a few people BEFORE it gets deleted by being controversial.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, I have to wonder how many other people think the way the DC Council feels (that this is the answer to DC's murder and crime rate).

I have been known to change my mind on more than one occasion.  However, I doubt this will be the case this time.

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/02/dc-bill-would-pay-people-stipends-not-to-commit-crimes/

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/02/04/great-moments-in-self-government-dc-to-pay-felons-not-to-commi...

Super Contributor

Re: Now I've Heard Everything!

[ Edited ]

I had heard about this, and could not believe someone (anyone) could possibly think this could work.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that criminals (or those so inclined) are known for their honesty and keeping their word.

So once they get paid, how do they inforce the agreement? I have not heard any details of the plan. It just sounds totally outlandish to me.

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

First of all this might get deleted because (although I don't know why) it might become controversial.

First some rules.  Hopefully we can all discuss this without 'blowing up' and charging full speed.

I think this possible action (you'll see it in a minute) by the Washington, DC council (as I see it) is a sign that society (some in society) feel like they've lost total control and are giving up.

I am hoping this can be seen by at least a few people BEFORE it gets deleted by being controversial.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, I have to wonder how many other people think the way the DC Council feels (that this is the answer to DC's murder and crime rate).

I have been known to change my mind on more than one occasion.  However, I doubt this will be the case this time.

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/02/dc-bill-would-pay-people-stipends-not-to-commit-crimes/

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/02/04/great-moments-in-self-government-dc-to-pay-felons-not-to-commi...

Interesting topic! If it will help to cut down on recidivism, I'm for it. I feel we need to do something, especially for non-violent felons, who get out of prison and can't find meaningful, over-the-table employment.  Everyone runs background checks these days, and it usually means that ex-felons remain unemployed and in desperate straits.

Banks pay the owners of foreclosed property not to trash the house, because it's cheaper to do that, than to clean up the mess.  This sounds similar.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

Well, they have been paying themselves for years ... and it hasn't stopped them. Smiley Wink

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

It’s based on a program in Richmond, California, that advocates say has contributed to deep reductions in crime there.

Under the bill, city officials would identify up to 200 people a year who are considered at risk of either committing or becoming victims of violent crime.

Those people would be directed to participate in behavioral therapy and other programs. If they fulfill those obligations and stay out of trouble, they would be paid.

The bill doesn’t specify the value of the stipends, but participants in the California program receive up to $9,000 per year.

McDuffie argued that spending $9,000 a year in stipends “pales in comparison” to the cost of someone being victimized, along with the costs of incarcerating the offender.

Neighborhood-watch-ghostbusters-500x500.jpg

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@milkbone This has nothing to do with the topic but I always notice the blurb at the end of your comments.

I think MLK was amazing.  I always say, "I didn't cry when Kennedy or his brother died.  I didn't cry when Elvis died.  But I cried like a baby when MLK died because I knew what he did for everyone and I always felt he had goodness in his heart".

Thanks for your response.  I find this subject to be interesting.  

Honored Contributor

You are apologizing too much.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

I am all for a program that will push crime down as it lifts people up. It seems to me this could work as long as it is being administered appropriately and those who are being helped do their share.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Please explain if you were referring to any of my posts.  I'm interested in your response and don't understand.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I can see it now.  I am a store owner.  I see someone ready to break in my window.  I run out and say to him,  "Please don't break my window.  Haven't you heard? You will get more money if you don't break it.  In fact, we'll pay you for my window...(which I already paid for once).  Oh, you want me to throw in a package of cigarettes.....and a bottle of beer.  Surrrrre.   Done deal.  So the criminal goes a block over to the next store.  What a wonderful idea!  And so forth and so on.............................now all is well with the world and I will sleep a lot better.