Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nothing about Stillwater crash?

@mstyrion 1 I was letting Di know that driving is a privledge not a right. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Background checks do nothing to infringe upon one's "right" to own a gun.  It has been proven by the Brady Foundation that they can help to keep guns out of the wrong hands. 

Background checks are done for most job applicants.  For me, it makes total sense that someone who wants to own a killing implement should at least go through the same scrutiny that someone who wants to work for WalMart does.

I agree a motor vehicle can certainly be at a killing impliment. One killing implement is a persons right the other is a privilage. I support background checks for all "killing impliments".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have a former co worker who has a mentally ill son. They have had to call an ambulance because he cuts himself and then is profusely bleeding and needs to go to the hospital. They have tried to have him hospitalized when these incidents occur to no avail - they send him home with no change in his treatment. This summer one day he gets into one of these moods and starts cutting himself and when his dad tried to stop him he slashed the knife at the dad and severely cut the dad. The dad has a fib and is on anticoag therapy so was bleeding profusely and had to call an ambulance. The police came and arrested the son, because the hospital treating the dad reported he was violent. Now the son was in jail instead of where he NEEDED to be , which is a hospital.  When he was scheduled to be released from jail the Mom called his doctor to try and get him admitted to the hospital. She literally begged - they kept him in the hospital 2 days, and did nothing to change his therapy. These parents can't afford a private hospital but that was their only choice . They had to take out a mortgage on their home to pay to put him in a private hospital. They are at the end of their rope with this and no one has any advice to help them. right now he is still in the private hospital, but they are fast running out of money. what are people supposed to do?

......they do what your friends did, assume the costs of a private hospital themselves and when the money runs out, they rely on outpatient treatment in a public clinic and medication.  If you don't have money or very good insurance coverage; that's the only option.  It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.   

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Background checks do nothing to infringe upon one's "right" to own a gun.  It has been proven by the Brady Foundation that they can help to keep guns out of the wrong hands. 

Background checks are done for most job applicants.  For me, it makes total sense that someone who wants to own a killing implement should at least go through the same scrutiny that someone who wants to work for WalMart does.

I agree a motor vehicle can certainly be at a killing impliment. One killing implement is a persons right the other is a privilage. I support background checks for all "killing impliments".

hckynut(john)

Why did I know you were going to say that?

An vehicle's primary purpose is not one of killing or wounding.  A firearm's is.  Big difference.

If you support background checks for anything that might be used for killing, then there should be background checks for everything, After all, even a roll of duct tape can be used to wound or kill.  Your point  is the perfect example of a strawman argument.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

How would the DMV go about giving mental competency tests to millions of people?    It could also bring about civil rights questions..........    

Hi Di.  Still a lovely Killer Klutz? 

I don't think Civil Rights are involved.  Driving is considered a privledge in all states and can be revoked at any time regardless of one's sanity or mental issues. 

@Puzzle Piece   Hi Roses.......still a "klutz", but we have a new name:   Hey, I'm talkin'   (still in Beauty)

What I meant about "civil rights"............Can the State require a mental competency exam for a driver license?    Mental competency tests usually require going before a judge with witnesses with medical licenses.    Now......there are many people who think I'm "nuts" for driving a sports car at my age..................(!!!!!)

Come back and join us on the "Hey" post! di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

An vehicle's primary purpose is not one of killing or wounding.  A firearm's is.  Big difference.

If you support background checks for anything that might be used for killing, then there should be background checks for everything, After all, even a roll of duct tape can be used to wound or kill.  Your point  is the perfect example of a strawman argument.

I have to disagree with you on this statement.  The primary purpose of a firearm is NOT for killing or wounding.  However if that is what you choose to believe, there is nothing anyone can say to change your mind.  Sad....

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

How would the DMV go about giving mental competency tests to millions of people?    It could also bring about civil rights questions..........    

Hi Di.  Still a lovely Killer Klutz? 

I don't think Civil Rights are involved.  Driving is considered a privledge in all states and can be revoked at any time regardless of one's sanity or mental issues. 

@Puzzle Piece   Hi Roses.......still a "klutz", but we have a new name:   Hey, I'm talkin'   (still in Beauty)

What I meant about "civil rights"............Can the State require a mental competency exam for a driver license?    Mental competency tests usually require going before a judge with witnesses with medical licenses.    Now......there are many people who think I'm "nuts" for driving a sports car at my age..................(!!!!!)

Come back and join us on the "Hey" post! di

I think I know your age group from our Killer Klutz Days and ..........NO, you are not nuts for driving a sports car.  I drive one daily and don't let my age numbers define me there. 

Mental competency tests are a good thing but that will all depend upon how the individual behaves when they are on their own out in public.  More discussion needs to be made on that arena. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@cater wrote:

Chrystaltree, on all of our stations the FATHER himself has stated she  has mental illness problems. He said he has taken her for treatments but she turned 21 there was nothing else he could do. CBS,  ABC all showed the Dad talking.

I saw that but that's her father; of course her father wants to believe that  she was mentally incompetant at the time.  They might already have spoken to a lawyer and that's the message they want to put out.  It doesn't matter, her father doesn't know what happened at that particular moment.    I'm not saying that she doesn't have some psych issues but that by no means rules out drug or alcohol use as the cause for her actions.  Not by a long shot.   You can't rule out drug use until toxicology comes in. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@cater wrote:

Chrystaltree, on all of our stations the FATHER himself has stated she  has mental illness problems. He said he has taken her for treatments but she turned 21 there was nothing else he could do. CBS,  ABC all showed the Dad talking.

I saw that but that's her father; of course her father wants to believe that  she was mentally incompetant at the time.  They might already have spoken to a lawyer and that's the message they want to put out.  It doesn't matter, her father doesn't know what happened at that particular moment.    I'm not saying that she doesn't have some psych issues but that by no means rules out drug or alcohol use as the cause for her actions.  Not by a long shot.   You can't rule out drug use until toxicology comes in. 

Unfortunately many with mental illness will self medicate with drugs and alcohol.  Which only further complicates the issue was it the mental illness or the drugs/alcohol that caused the incident.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this statement.  The primary purpose of a firearm is NOT for killing or wounding.  However if that is what you choose to believe, there is nothing anyone can say to change your mind.  Sad....

Well, they sure aren't wall art.  Smiley Frustrated

I am sure I won't change your mind either.   So sad.

~Enough is enough~