Honored Contributor

Re: Nothing about Stillwater crash?

Another example of this country falling far short in treating our mentally ill. Sadly , lately, we are seeing more and more and more that people want to take others with them when they decide to attempt to kill themselves. When are the powers that be goung to see that we need to be more aggressive in treating people with mental illnesses ? Do we need to go back to locking people up in "institutions" - I hope not - but what is being done right now is certainly not working and is putting the general public at risk.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn@151949@Desertdi@silkyk@qualitygal

My first question in the Columbine tragedy was "didn't his parents know that he was building a pipe bomb at home?"

So rather than testing everyone for mental illness, shouldn't we be asking the "responsible party" more questions in order for people to realize that if the child is a minor, the parents will be held accountable?

It seems like we wait until AFTER the fact, then ask questions, do TV shows on TRAGEDIES, etc.

People need to feel that if they report to the authorities, the authorities will actively DO something... just my thoughts...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

Waiting test results....mentally ill....drugs....

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Another example of this country falling far short in treating our mentally ill. Sadly , lately, we are seeing more and more and more that people want to take others with them when they decide to attempt to kill themselves. When are the powers that be goung to see that we need to be more aggressive in treating people with mental illnesses ? Do we need to go back to locking people up in "institutions" - I hope not - but what is being done right now is certainly not working and is putting the general public at risk.

@usa Today article from 2013; Liz Szabo wrote:

"States have crafted their civil commitment laws to protect civil liberties, in reaction to abusive situations in the past, says Liza Gold, a forensic psychiatrist at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington. Today, state civil commitment laws can make it difficult or impossible to hospitalize adults involuntarily, even when their families or caregivers feel threatened and patients appear extremely sick, says Dewey Cornell, director of the Virginia Youth Violence Project.

Now, Gold says, the pendulum has swung "too far," because the law doesn't allow patients to be protected from themselves.

"Our civil commitment laws are broken," Cornell says. "They are designed to protect individuals from being held against their will. But they have gone too far. They no longer protect society. We've had many cases where people who should have been hospitalized have been allowed to languish and they deteriorate into a violent act."

"Mental health laws need to be revisited on a state-by-state basis in a way that considers both civil liberties and the value of human life," Gold says.

Honored Contributor

Well, if you started a thread so you could NOT talk about it.  Why the heck should we do the talking for you.....lol 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Huh?  We have no Mental Health Police in this country.  There are no "powers" charged with spying on the population, snooping into medical records and then rounding people up and putting them in mental institutions.  Is that what you are suggesting?  Do you really want that?  There is also no epidemic of people committing suicide and taking a other with them.  It rarely happens, it's not a daily occurrence.  Sure there are a lot of mentally ill people, depressed people, hopeless people in this country but the vast majority of them do no harm to anyone other than themselves and since we live in free country; getting help or treatment is their CHOICE.  I think most of us would like it if treatment was readily available for anyone seeking it.  But treatment, therapy, medication is not FREE.  Someone would have pay and we all know that the public, at large, would not accept the idea of funding such programs if the money comes from tax revenues.  As for the Stillwater incident.  Who said anything about her having a mental illness?  That hasn't been determined yet.  Yes, her family would like that to be the case.  But it's also quite possible, even likely that she was under the influence of some drug.  We just don't know yet. 

Esteemed Contributor

So sad.....for everyone involved.

Respected Contributor

Indeed, this was a tragedy,but it should not be used as a transparent attempt to link this tragedy to gun violence and the need for reasonable gun control.

We don't yet know what motivated this young woman to do what she did. Mental illness may play a part, but I don't think anyone believes that all people with mental illness should be prohibited from driving.

I recall a case several years ago where an elderly person lost control of a car in a crowd in San Diego.  Many people were killed and hurt. Should we prohibit all old people from driving too?

In my opinion, there are vast differences in driving regulations and regulations that should be put in place for responsible gun ownership. 

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

chrystaltree wrote:

Well, if you started a thread so you could NOT talk about it.  Why the heck should we do the talking for you.....lol 

It seems to me that the OP started the thread for the express purpose of baiting.  It couldn't just be left at discussing the incident.  It had to become a jab on others.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

No matter the weapon, mental illness will always exacerbate the dangers. Add alcohol or some other drug and up the ante.

On that issue, I have no idea about the stats involved.  I do know that getting too concentrated on mass killings tends to make us as a society ignore the much greater issue of the drip, drip, drip of daily deaths, many of which don't make headlines beyond their own neighborhoods.

You make excellent points, @millieshops, especially about the drip, drip, drip of daily deaths.