Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@faeriemoon.  Over 25 in "movie land", think BOTOX and fillers and lipo and other surgeries are the norm...Shame, huh?

@Shanus, Wow, see how lucky we are to not have to worry about those things! LOL

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis. Really not interested in going ****** for tat on this subject. I said MOST stars stay a size 2 sample size to wear designer dresses...not ALL stars. Think Rooney Mara who may be even a siza O.

I read over the list of names you included. From that list,

remove all those who are not big name A listers...those who have not made a movie, public appearance in awhile. The ones who are left, JLo, etc. are not size 2. You are correct.

Consider that an A list star appearing in CURRENT top rated movies or tv shows or music....no matter size 2 or 3X, any designer would rush to make a dress in their size to be seen on the red carpet. The star is then asked "Who are you wearing?". That's gold in the designer's pocket. 

Now may you and I put this to rest? I'm out.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nichole Kidman

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@itiswhatitis. Really not interested in going ****** for tat on this subject. I said MOST stars stay a size 2 sample size to wear designer dresses...not ALL stars. Think Rooney Mara who may be even a siza O.

remove all those who are not big name A listers...those who have not made a movie, public appearance in awhile. The ones who are left, JLo, etc. are not size 2. You are correct.

Consider that an A list star appearing in CURRENT top rated movies or tv shows or music....no matter size 2 or 3X, any designer would rush to make a dress in their size to be seen on the red carpet. The star is then asked "Who are you wearing?". That's gold in the designer's pocket. 

@Shanus I don't consider this ****** for tat.  I'm enjoying a discussion.  If you prefer not to, just say that.  I wasn't necessarily replying to you though.  Just replying for those to read.

By the way, many of the people on my list have indeed, walked red carpets recently.

Meryl Streep  (A list)

Viola Davis (A list)

Octavia Spencer (A list)

LaVerne Cox

Jennifer Lopez (A list)

Lena Dunham

Melissa McCarthy (A list)

Beyonce (A list)

These artists have walked either the Academy, Grammy or SAG award carpet.  None are fighting to get into the famed size two gowns.  We can not overlook women of color here.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus I don't consider this ****** for tat.  I'm enjoying a discussion.  If you prefer not to, just say that.  I wasn't necessarily replying to you though.  Just replying for those to read.

By the way, many of the people on my list have indeed, walked red carpets recently.

Meryl Streep  (A list)

Viola Davis (A list)

Octavia Spencer (A list)

LaVerne Cox

Jennifer Lopez (A list)

Lena Dunham

Beyonce (A list)

These artists have walked either the Academy, Grammy or SAG award carpet.  None are fighting to get into the famed size two gowns.  We can not overlook women of color here.

If you read what was in that article it stated that A list actors and those that have a relationship with designers don't have the problem that others will who aren't size 2. Those actresses who aren't A list or have relationships with well known designers aren't getting clothes like those others are and they choose up and coming designers to dress them. Melissa McCarthy, Christina Hendricks and many other larger actresses have talked often about how difficult it was to find someone to dress them. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I first saw Nicole Kidman in Dead Calm and really liked her.  Over the years I've seen her many times and never thought she lived up to the hype.  There is something about her voice, particularly American accent, I do not care for.  I did love the movie Lion, but any number of actresses could have played her relatively minor, supporting role.

Most stars are tabloid fodder.  She and her husband are featured frequently.  Stories abound discussing his cheating, his drug use and her overall bi**hiness.  I'm sure the truth is colored but never the less if these were outright lies, you'd think there be some law suits.

I liked her as a red head and agree she usually looks a bit over botoxed.  More often than not, she's high on my (not that it matters) worst dressed at red carpet events.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I first saw Nicole Kidman in Dead Calm and really liked her.  Over the years I've seen her many times and never thought she lived up to the hype.  There is something about her voice, particularly American accent, I do not care for.  I did love the movie Lion, but any number of actresses could have played her relatively minor, supporting role.

Most stars are tabloid fodder.  She and her husband are featured frequently.  Stories abound discussing his cheating, his drug use and her overall bi**hiness.  I'm sure the truth is colored but never the less if these were outright lies, you'd think there be some law suits.

I liked her as a red head and agree she usually looks a bit over botoxed.  More often than not, she's high on my (not that it matters) worst dressed at red carpet events.

I really loved that movie @lulu2. Billy Zane was great in that too!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

the two movies that i liked nicole kidman in were absence of malice (with alec baldwin.....lots of twists and turns) and eyes wide shut (bizarre, but oddly fascinating....she did this one with tom cruise.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nichole Kidman

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Meryl Streep  (A list)

Viola Davis (A list)

Octavia Spencer (A list)

LaVerne Cox

Jennifer Lopez (A list)

Lena Dunham

Beyonce (A list)

If you read what was in that article it stated that A list actors and those that have a relationship with designers don't have the problem that others will who aren't size 2. Those actresses who aren't A list or have relationships with well known designers aren't getting clothes like those others are and they choose up and coming designers to dress them. Melissa McCarthy, Christina Hendricks and many other larger actresses have talked often about how difficult it was to find someone to dress them. 

@Irshgrl31201, I have no doubt that there are some of these actresses who will starve themselves and/or who have the right body for getting into those size two samples come award time.  The thing being overlooked here, which I've clearly stated is that it's not all of them.  The average woman in this country is not a size two (this includes all the holllywood stars).

I didn't read the article because I know what some of them go through.  However, they are a small group by comparison.  Finally, had @Shanus not use the term "all of them" you'd just be discussing Nicole Kidman w/o me as I don't care for her.

I've enjoyed the discussion about the industry and they [stars] signed up for it, so they do what they have to do.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

The reason a thread was created discussing Nicole Kidman at this time is because of comments she made to a reporter about her point of view on politics.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

the two movies that i liked nicole kidman in were absence of malice (with alec baldwin.....lots of twists and turns) and eyes wide shut (bizarre, but oddly fascinating....she did this one with tom cruise.)

I saw the "Others" which I found likable enough.  I happen to catch it on tv.  

*Call Tyrone*