Respected Contributor

Re: Newborn Mix Up ~ Couple Suing

@jaxs mom wrote:

As I was telling my husband about this I was reminded that if she'd only been feeding the baby for 20 minutes she really shouldn't have switched sides yet anyway, so her other breast should have been full anyhow. Not that you need to worry about running out anyway. It's been a long time since I nursed a baby so it took a second for me to remember that. 

I've never nursed a baby and my first thought was "20 minutes?  Doesn't she have TWO breasts?"   Should have been plenty to go around.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

After my first c-section while in the hospital, I too was given the wrong child.  My husband was wth me.. I remember looking at the baby and say " this is not my baby"

The  nurse handed me a bottle with the baby and the baby was hungry and crying, so I fed it.  In about 15-20 minutes, the nurse came running back in with my baby and made the exchange.  I would never have breast fed someone else's baby.

This was 38 years ago and was no big deal.  I imagine it happens fairly often.

My roommates' baby was circumcised in error by a doctor she didn't know.  It's a good thing she wanted her baby circumcized or it could have been a big problem, I remember the doctor coming in to tell her, he said there would be no charge and they laughed about it.

I would have sued over circumcizing a baby in error.

No way would I have laughed about it. 

Trusted Contributor

Valley Hospital Ridgewood, NJ is where both of my sister in laws gave birth to their babies.  I wonder if the nurse who messed up will be disciplined ? 

~~~ooops~~~~~~~Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Bri21 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

After my first c-section while in the hospital, I too was given the wrong child.  My husband was wth me.. I remember looking at the baby and say " this is not my baby"

The  nurse handed me a bottle with the baby and the baby was hungry and crying, so I fed it.  In about 15-20 minutes, the nurse came running back in with my baby and made the exchange.  I would never have breast fed someone else's baby.

My roommates' baby was circumcised in error by a doctor she didn't know.  It's a good thing she wanted her baby circumcized or it could have been a big problem, I remember the doctor coming in to tell her, he said there would be no charge and they laughed about it.

I don't even want to think what I would do if that happened. There literally are no words what my reaction would be. Every single person would be trembling in fear of my wrath I'd be so pissed off. And I have excellent legal connections too. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't  blame her for suing. I would have as well. Whether the baby was harmed or not, this was an inexcusable mistake causing immeasurable distress to the mothers. They have to wonder what other mistakes have been made and covered up.

This ineptitude is the reason I delivered my child at home. No chance of an abduction, being given the wrong baby, or some overworked, drug addicted, hung over, or careless nurse or doctor making a mistake.

Valued Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Bri21 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I don't even want to think what I would do if that happened. There literally are no words what my reaction would be. Every single person would be trembling in fear of my wrath I'd be so pissed off. And I have excellent legal connections too. 

My babies roomed with me.  I never let them out of my sight.

I left after 24 hours.  I wanted out - LOL

Honored Contributor

Breast feeding aside, she was given the wrong baby, to me that is the headline !!!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

My roommates' baby was circumcised in error by a doctor she didn't know.  It's a good thing she wanted her baby circumcised or it could have been a big problem, I remember the doctor coming in to tell her, he said there would be no charge and they laughed about it.

Now that, I'd have freaking sued them for every single penny I could have gotten. No way they are genitally mutilating my baby and I would joke about it. Heck no. They would have seen the full wrath I'm capable of. 

The parents already had a written consent  on file for the baby to be circumicised..  They wanted the surgery done.  The error was the doctor made a mistake and worked in the wrong baby.  

It could have turned out bad if the surgery wasn't wanted. Imagine if the family was Jewish.

Honored Contributor

@Bri21 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Bri21 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I was in the hospital for six days as was the norm back then.  Babies were not allowed to room with mothers.  Times have changed for the better.

Trusted Contributor

@Bri21 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Bri21 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Yes, I guess I was fortunate too in that my children were delivered and never left me.  They were wrapped and given to me directly, neve left my sight or my room.

I don't think that it is like this everywhere in the US sadly, and I think the idea that newborns could ever be so far from the parents to be 'mixed up" is something im grateful couldn't have happened in my situation.  And I even stayed two nights because I appreciated the extra support while I snuggled my babies lol!!  No mixing up in 48+ hours!