Valued Contributor

Re: New rip off - the facility fee

Even worse, you go to a network hospital only to have an out-of-network radiologist, anethesiologist, etc. and you get stuck w/balance billing way after the fact.

Valued Contributor

Also, if you are not officially admitted but are just "under observation" you get stuck w/big bill.  (This happened to my grandmother so I raised holy heck w/the insurance contact at my grandfather's former employer.)

Valued Contributor

If we only had Medicare for everyone as Bernie Sanders suggested (or nationalized healthcare like most of the rest of the Weseternized world), probably wouldn't have these issues.

Honored Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

Also, if you are not officially admitted but are just "under observation" you get stuck w/big bill.  (This happened to my grandmother so I raised holy heck w/the insurance contact at my grandfather's former employer.)

If you are in for under 24 hours and considered under observation, I know they charge for some things at a much higher rate.  We ran into this with my DH.  Initially he was in under observation and I was told to bring in any meds that he takes so they could give them to him because if they had to get them from the pharmacy, the price was ridiculously high.

As it turns out, he turned into a full admission and now our insurance company rejected the claim filed by the hospital, stating it wasn't medically necessary for him to be admitted. 

I was in the hospital about a year ago, under observation, and didn't pay a dime.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this. We often think we are informed in many areas and something new crops up that we hadn't heard about.

I have never have encountered this "facility fee.." but anything is possible in the future and it is good to know ito look out for it.

I was surpsied that this wasn't new and that others have encountered this also..so it is always good to put info out there as who knows who else can get a heads up on it.

That said - I loved these types of threads with a topic and various responses and experiences.  

I am sure we are ALL glad that we have what we have - nobody said anything different - including the OP that she was less than thankful for her insurance... Just shocked and surprised at this outrageous fee.

What of patients who can't afford that fee? What of patients who are on Medicaid to begin with? 

Respected Contributor

@151949  You are not getting the straight poop re: the facility fee.  Also, 20% of any outpatient procedure is outrageous.  My outpatient surgeries were tens of thousands each and that doesn't include 3 colonoscopies, which were several thousands.  This works against the patients because they will avoid outpatient everything!  

Respected Contributor

@151949 @Lipstickdiva  Yes, I go to UMich and I think it is called a hospital fee and it is all covered by Plan F.  That Advantage or any managed care can be a nightmare.  BTW, I just met a gal who was referred to Cleveland Clinic for heart issues by UMich and she is very happy with Cleveland Clinic.  She is now getting rehab back here in A2 and sporting an Ohio tee!

Honored Contributor

My DH spoke to someone at the insurance co - chatted with someone at medicare.gov and has a call in to our agent. We are very doubtful anything can be done about it , but we are certainly not just allowing it without a fight.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lynnster67 wrote:

If you are in for under 24 hours and considered under observation, I know they charge for some things at a much higher rate.  We ran into this with my DH.  Initially he was in under observation and I was told to bring in any meds that he takes so they could give them to him because if they had to get them from the pharmacy, the price was ridiculously high.

As it turns out, he turned into a full admission and now our insurance company rejected the claim filed by the hospital, stating it wasn't medically necessary for him to be admitted. 

I was in the hospital about a year ago, under observation, and didn't pay a dime.

You can be UNDER OBSERVATION for up to 3 days.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

THis is nothing new; at least not in my world. I've had "facility fees" for the past 10 years. Surgery at Hopkins was/is:

Doctors fee

OR fee

Facility fee

Medication fee

Other fees.

This has been my experience with every hospital except for the Mayo Clinic for at least a decade. BCBS, btw.