Regular Contributor

Has anyone noticed how many exclusions there are now at Kohls on which you cannot use coupons?  We had 30% off and went the other night as my husband needed new sneakers and some shorts.  Nike is now excluded, as is Levis.  Crazy new policies!  

We came home and the Levis web site was having a 40% off sale so he purchased what he wanted at even less than at Kohls with free shipping.  I just don't understand why Kohls wouldn't want that business.  Basically it is going to start excluding all items that are not store brands is my my assumption.  If so, they will lose a lot of customers. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: New(ish) Policies at Kohls

[ Edited ]

@hgsuddle wrote:

Has anyone noticed how many exclusions there are now at Kohls on which you cannot use coupons?  We had 30% off and went the other night as my husband needed new sneakers and some shorts.  Nike is now excluded, as is Levis.  Crazy new policies!  

We came home and the Levis web site was having a 40% off sale so he purchased what he wanted at even less than at Kohls with free shipping.  I just don't understand why Kohls wouldn't want that business.  Basically it is going to start excluding all items that are not store brands is my my assumption.  If so, they will lose a lot of customers. 

You must not have shopped at Kohl's in the past year or so, those exclusions have been in place for at least a year now, if not longer. The exclusions aren't from Kohl's, they're from the manufacturers &  seem to be on what are considered "premium" items.

Honored Contributor

I used to shop at Kohls a lot.  I don't buy much there any longer.  I, too, am disappointed in all of the exclusions.  I also find the Vera line has gone downhill and I rarely find anything lately I like in there.  Now that they don't give you a merchandise credit if you return something you bought when you received Kohls cash, I don't even use the Kohls cash any longer. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

During my years in retail,  I have seen many name brand items that are excluded from coupons. These exclusions are determined by the vendors, not the  store, as a way of controlling their "brand". The branded coupon exclusions can be frustrating for both the customer and the store,  but the store really has no control over it. 

Valued Contributor

These policies aren't Kohl's policies.  They are pricing policies from the vendors.  You'll find the same exclusions at all the other retailers that carry Levis and Nikes, as well.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a Columbia jacket and a pair of Columbia Ugg-type boots there last year in the same shopping trip. I got 30% off the jacket but not the boots. What???

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

When prices are set (including sale and coupon prices) the vendor's are also included.  That's true at Kohl's, Macys, Dillards, etc.  -- and it's true right here at QVC, too.  I laugh when posters cry about QVC's greed, but never add a bit of blame on the sholders of the vendors.  I don't mean the vendor reps who are not the owners, but the actual vendors who negotiate contracts with QVC to get their goods sold.

It takes two to tango ---- and two to get a middleman to sell what you manufacture!

Regular Contributor

I do understand that it is the vendor that is forcing the retailer to set the exclusions policies.  Kohls never did that before.  No offense to Kohls, but they are not a high quality department store. Higher than Walmart, yes, but not Macy's.  

I find it interesting that for those of us who have computers are able to find such "excluded" items on the manufacturer's website for a tremendous discount, but no where else.  Sure pays to search the web these days - unless one has a need for an item NOW.

As for Kohls cash, it is just a gimmick to get you back in the store.  I will say though I did get my new kitchen glasses for free last month because of the Cash.  Didn't pay a penny. Once they stop allowing us to use the Cash any time at all regardless of dates, I will surely be done with Kohls.

Esteemed Contributor

Their percent off coupons have had tons of exclusions for a while, the store manager  told me the manufacturers  don't credit them so they were losing money. Not sure I believe that!!!! But they also did tell me that kohls cash can be used for those items- I used $40 kohls cash for my fit bit!! Also if the store offers dollar off coupons for various depts in the store- I haven't tested that yet. 

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I used to shop at Kohls a lot.  I don't buy much there any longer.  I, too, am disappointed in all of the exclusions.  I also find the Vera line has gone downhill and I rarely find anything lately I like in there.  Now that they don't give you a merchandise credit if you return something you bought when you received Kohls cash, I don't even use the Kohls cash any longer. 

@winamac1

i make sure that when i use my kohls cash it is used on something i know that i would not return. towels, socks, undies, kitchen items, tee shirts, etc....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein