Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Neighbors Children Aren't in School

@ValuSkr wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Funny, when we had a townhouse, we couldn't hear anything that was going on next door to us on either side, unless someone was outside.

It's not funny actually.  Buildings are constructed to different sound proofing standards.  I can hear no voices, TV, music or such from the townhouse next door, but I can hear people running up/down the stairs, which are on the other side of our common wall.  A builder once explained to me that impact sounds (footsteps, children jumping on the floor, etc.) are more difficult to insulate against than other types of sound.

I think the problem is the builder and the materials they used.  We NEVER heard any inside noises.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

@mgm:

You said.....
Funny, when we had a townhouse, we couldn't hear anything that was going on next door to us on either side, unless someone was outside.

I do not understand what is funny? What are you trying to imply? In my condo, I hate the fact that I can hear my neighbors TV, fighting, screaming toddlers, it is unfortunate for me I have to hear these things but I manage. It's fortunate that you did not but it's definitely not funny for those who live it.
Esteemed Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
@mgm:

You said.....

I do not understand what is funny? What are you trying to imply? In my condo, I hate the fact that I can hear my neighbors TV, fighting, screaming toddlers, it is unfortunate for me I have to hear these things but I manage. It's fortunate that you did not but it's definitely not funny for those who live it.

Funny as in irony.

I don't know where you and valustar live but our townhouse was in NJ and we never heard any such noises.  I wouldn't have remained in the house if that was the case.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I wouldn't do anything. Homeschooling isn't illegal in the US. In some states there isn't a requirement to file any paperwork or notify anyone if you are homeschooling. 

Yes, but no one speaks English.  How would they home school?

If no one speaks English how would they learn anything in an English speaking school?

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I wouldn't do anything. Homeschooling isn't illegal in the US. In some states there isn't a requirement to file any paperwork or notify anyone if you are homeschooling. 

Yes, but no one speaks English.  How would they home school?

If no one speaks English how would they learn anything in an English speaking school?

Kids pick up new languages much more easily and with less resistance than do adults.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I would love to move but at this time I can't. I live in Florida.
Respected Contributor

I think you should call Abner!

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@fortune wrote:

My next door neighbor, who is Korean, just rented part of her townhouse to a mother, father, and three school-aged children.  The family doesn't have a car, and the father doesn't work.  The 3 school-age children don't attend school.  As far as I know, no one speaks English, including the landlord.  I asked the neighborhood children if they knew why the children weren't in school, and they said they were being home-schooled.

This sounded rather odd to me, because the parents don't speak English.  Are they being home-schooled in Korean?  What should I do, if anything?  What are the rules on school attendance?

If the townhouse certificate of occupancy has it listed as a 1 family residence it cannot be rented to another family while the owner also lives there ... she is making it a 2 family house & that would be illegal  .... maybe they are part of her family because if no one works how are they paying rent????  ..... because none of them speak English perhaps they don't know that it's illegal?

These are you neighbors. Please Mind your own Business.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

It's not funny actually.  Buildings are constructed to different sound proofing standards.  I can hear no voices, TV, music or such from the townhouse next door, but I can hear people running up/down the stairs, which are on the other side of our common wall.  A builder once explained to me that impact sounds (footsteps, children jumping on the floor, etc.) are more difficult to insulate against than other types of sound.

I think the problem is the builder and the materials they used.  We NEVER heard any inside noises.

Okay, you're right.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Tell your landlady/manager about the noise.  

Honored Contributor

one of the reasons why our neighborhood is so nice is that my neighbors worry about their own business and we worry about our own business! we smile, we say hello, we chat,  we watch others houses while they are away, and we keep our lawns cared for. it works out well for all of us!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein