Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

I always blame the owners when there is a dog problem. 

Trusted Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a totally safe dog/breed.  Yes, some may be more prone, but I owned one of the cute, small brands, the kind little ones on the street seem to want to pet.  I never told parents the dog would not bite; I always said he has not bitten anyone so far.

I walked him on a leash for his protection -  but certainly that lease could have also been protecting others.  I expect that much from other owners.  Unfortunately, there are more irresponsible owners than there are dangerous dogs.

Agree, ANY dog will bite.

Having worked in an emergency room, I will amend that last statement to ANY thing with a mouth will bite.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Pit bulls account for the majority of fatal dog bites.  http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

Now yes, the article goes on to say how wonderful pit bulls can be - and attributes their occasions of visciousness to bad owners.  It also says that bad owners seem to flock to this type of dog.

And while it is certainly true that any dog will bite under the "right circumstances" I hardly think that delivering mail or walking down the street should put someone in that category.

NO dog should be running free out of the control of its owner - but clearly some owners are worse than others - and these seem to want the "bully breeds" as the articles says - so again, I hardly think that being wary of such dogs is ignorant hysteria.

Lets just put it this way....if every dog owner was responsible we would not be having this conversation.  SO is it the dogs fault or the owners (keep in mind no breed was ever mentioned).

Of course it is the owner's fault.

However, if you were walking down the street and a pit bull came running at you - seriously wouldn't you be more afraid that if it were a chihuahua?

Honestly...the worse bites I have seen were from small dogs (under 20 lbs) and I have a dog that is half staffy. Who, if allowed, would run and jump on every person he saw since in his mind that is his new best friend.  I look at body language not breed.  I also am prepared with citronella spray when out and about.  Have had to use it twice, a black lab and a small mix.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I always blame the owners when there is a dog problem. 

That's who I am blaming......I just hope that they make the family keep the dog under control. It is not the dogs fault the owner is irresponsible

I have a Maltese and I would bet that she would bite the mailman too if she was loose and he was in our yard.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Pit bulls account for the majority of fatal dog bites.  http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

Now yes, the article goes on to say how wonderful pit bulls can be - and attributes their occasions of visciousness to bad owners.  It also says that bad owners seem to flock to this type of dog.

And while it is certainly true that any dog will bite under the "right circumstances" I hardly think that delivering mail or walking down the street should put someone in that category.

NO dog should be running free out of the control of its owner - but clearly some owners are worse than others - and these seem to want the "bully breeds" as the articles says - so again, I hardly think that being wary of such dogs is ignorant hysteria.

Lets just put it this way....if every dog owner was responsible we would not be having this conversation.  SO is it the dogs fault or the owners (keep in mind no breed was ever mentioned).

However, if you were walking down the street and a pit bull came running at you - seriously wouldn't you be more afraid that if it were a chihuahua?

Honestly...the worse bites I have seen were from small dogs (under 20 lbs) and I have a dog that is half staffy. Who, if allowed, would run and jump on every person he saw since in his mind that is his new best friend.  I look at body language not breed.  I also am prepared with citronella spray when out and about.  Have had to use it twice, a black lab and a small mix.

Well if pit bulls are causing the majority of fatal injuries from their bites then I fail to see how small dog bites are "worse."

Trusted Contributor

Any animal of any size can inflict a harmful and scarring bite and of course is the owners responsibility to keep their animals of whatever type contained and under control at all times. (even if just opening a door for mail) I think maybe some (not all) pet owners think their animal would never bite but all animals (even humans) can bite and become unpredictable, especially if the pet is the pack leader and not the human. An animal may be the family BFF but can become protective and unpredictable for even unknown reasons and as I also one time pet owner didnt become blinded to by my love for my 2 dobermans. Litigation and large fines usually solve any irresponsibility on the part of an owner as any person can also be sued for injuries/ mental anguish occurred and also dog become subjected to laws of community.. Is shame really and breed doesnt matter either. I agree some breeds can inflict more damage and that fact I kept in back of my mind formerly owning 2 dobies with their unique sharp scissor type teeth,.I dont own any animals at this point in my life and I am terribly allergic to cats. ( I know it stinks dont it?) I like to watch Ceasar Milan and I too believe usually if the pet owner is not a good pack leader and fails to recognize an unbalanced or nervous dog bad things can happen. A human pet owner should always own the space in front of them when answering the door. I know I had a hard time with one stubborn dobie but I eventually won that battle with training, LOL. The responsibility always lies with the owner to "know" their animal.

Honored Contributor

We had a neighbor who had a dog that bit 3 people who were simply walking down the street. Finally the third person took legal action and the dog was put down. The owner moved away claiming the neighbors were unreasonable and horrible. She never got it that she and her dog were the problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well if pit bulls are causing the majority of fatal injuries from their bites then I fail to see how small dog bites are "worse."

Whatever, you will never understand.  Done

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I think it is just the nature of the animal that small dogs tend to bite and large dogs tend to snarl & growl first, giving you some warning. Also , there are many more owners of small dogs whjo do not properly train their little foo foo - where as large dogs really have to be behavior trained or you can't live with them.

Respected Contributor

I clearly understand that it is the owner who is responsible.  I get that all breeds of dogs can bite.

What I am saying - and it is meeting tremendous resistence - is that some breeds - with bad owners - are much more dangerous than others when they attack and bite.

So it is not hysterical to be wary of these breeds - particularly should you meet an unleashed one on the street.

I am sorry that this offends pit bull lovers and others.