Esteemed Contributor

Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

Everyone got along with the neighbor down the street until her daughter moved back in with her German Shepard. She lets the dog out the front door to potty without a leash. They have a FENCED IN back yard, so the only reason I think she does this is so she doesn't have to clean it up since the dog does it's business in everyone elses yard.

We spoke to her Mom (nicely) and she said she would talk to her....didn't help.

Yesterday the dog saw the mailman crossing my yard and ran over and bit him before he could get his mace out.The rest of the street did not receive their mail because the mailman went to the hospital. I saw the Dog Warden at the neighbors house later that afternoon.

What happens now...does anyone know? It is a beautiful dog, but the owner is an idiot. We are all nervous about being out in the yard now....

Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

[ Edited ]

In my community, the dog would be removed and not seen again but that is due to the laws that are on the books.

Each community/county/state has different laws so it will depend on what is in place where you live.

Hope the mailman is  ok : (

Respected Contributor

You didn't say how long this has been going on (that the dog has been let out unleashed in the neighborhood), but I would have immediately investigated leash laws in my area and followed through with authorities. 

I am a dog lover, but the daughter's lack of control over her dog is a menace to everyone in the neighborhood and it is unacceptable. Hopefully, the dog's rabies shots were up to date and, hopefully, the letter carrier is okay. If I were the letter carrier, I would follow through with stronger action, whatever it takes to get the dog under control. It is possible the dog will have to be put to sleep.

Esteemed Contributor

The daughter is obviously not a responsible dog owner. Sadly, it's always the dog who is hurt by people's awful and irresponsible behavior. In some localities the dog would be put down. I hope the daughter becomes legally responsible for what her dog did. And why did her parents allow this? It's THEIR home and they should not have put up with this.

Respected Contributor

My dog went after the mailman when I opened the door.  He sprayed him with Pepper spray.  The postman told me if it happens again that I will have to pick up my mail from the post office.  I didn't live close to the post office.  I never opened the door again for the postman unless the dog was locked in another room. 

Honored Contributor

That poor mailman.  Let us know how the authorities handled it.

Esteemed Contributor

I really feel sorry for the dog. Litigation has a way of changing people's behaviors. The mail person will be ok. It's the dog that I worry about.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Everyone got along with the neighbor down the street until her daughter moved back in with her German Shepard. She lets the dog out the front door to potty without a leash. They have a FENCED IN back yard, so the only reason I think she does this is so she doesn't have to clean it up since the dog does it's business in everyone elses yard.

We spoke to her Mom (nicely) and she said she would talk to her....didn't help.

Yesterday the dog saw the mailman crossing my yard and ran over and bit him before he could get his mace out.The rest of the street did not receive their mail because the mailman went to the hospital. I saw the Dog Warden at the neighbors house later that afternoon.

What happens now...does anyone know? It is a beautiful dog, but the owner is an idiot. We are all nervous about being out in the yard now....

No one can tell you what will happen to the dog, each community has different regulations.  However I can say that the homeowner is now liable and will probibly be sued.  That should be enough to get the daughters behavior to change.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I grew up with German Shepards and know what loving dogs they are. They are also well behaved and historically were used to watch the owners children. They like any dog can be territorial. That said it is sad this one is not being given limits. Although we are only getting a one sided pov and I can't help wonder if this had been a small dog or another breed that dosen't get a bad rap. Would we be seeing the dogs name in the title.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I grew up with German Shepards and know what loving dogs they are. They are also well behaved and historically were used to watch the owners children. They like any dog can be territorial. That said it is sad this one is not being given limits. Although we are only getting a one sided pov and I can't help wonder if this had been a small dog or another breed that dosen't get a bad rap. Would we be seeing the dogs name in the title.

Thank you for the words "limits".