Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I love animals as much as anyone, but this defending the "breed" at the expense of the person is ridiculous.

My granddaughter was at college and heard a girl screaming.  She looked out and saw that she was being attacked by a pit bull.  My granddaughter - and others ran out to help.  Several people - including my granddaughter were bitten by this dog.

The owner insisted the breed was "gentle" and implied that these people "provoked" the dog.  The initial victim was just walking down the street - and did nothing to the dog.  She was hospitalized over this and my granddaughter's leg is badly scarred.

The dog was euthanized. 

I'm as sorry as anyone when animals are mistreated, but that is not the fault of innocent people who are attacked for no reason - as apparently occurred with the mailman.

Whats ridiculous is this sentence. We were not there so have no idea what happened.

And I will defend the breeds when others get a pass because oh they are so cute or get the pass cause they are a popular breed. While Pitts and Shepards are just as good with the right person and not the usual  angry ignorant mob trying to get rid of them.

You have made my point - we don't know what happened.  What - the mailman probably "did something to deserve it?"  The breed being so gentle and all.

Well apparently we know that the dog was running free without a leash and it attacked the mail man - who was not even in the dog's yard.

I guess I am part of the "angry ignorant mob" that insists that these "gentle" dogs be kept under the owner's control at all times.

Its like you did not read my first reply to this thread, read the second took issue with it and went off from there. I made my point not yours. As for the angry mob reference I was talking in general. If you want to be associated with that feel free.

Let me add you by your qoute marks are obviously trying to imply these dogs are not gentle. Which is a fail as they are if like any dog they do not feel threatened. I guess you over react around certain dogs since you obviously hate those dogs that you prejudge.  And they can sense it which puts them on the defense not knowing how you will react.

@AngusandBuddhasMom How can anyone categorize all dogs by gentle vs. brute?  Doesn't each dog have its own temperant despite their breed?  Dogs don't have individuation?  They are just as complex as humans.  You can't generalize canine behavior like this anymore than you can for human behavior.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I love animals as much as anyone, but this defending the "breed" at the expense of the person is ridiculous.

My granddaughter was at college and heard a girl screaming.  She looked out and saw that she was being attacked by a pit bull.  My granddaughter - and others ran out to help.  Several people - including my granddaughter were bitten by this dog.

The owner insisted the breed was "gentle" and implied that these people "provoked" the dog.  The initial victim was just walking down the street - and did nothing to the dog.  She was hospitalized over this and my granddaughter's leg is badly scarred.

The dog was euthanized. 

I'm as sorry as anyone when animals are mistreated, but that is not the fault of innocent people who are attacked for no reason - as apparently occurred with the mailman.

Whats ridiculous is this sentence. We were not there so have no idea what happened.

And I will defend the breeds when others get a pass because oh they are so cute or get the pass cause they are a popular breed. While Pitts and Shepards are just as good with the right person and not the usual  angry ignorant mob trying to get rid of them.

You have made my point - we don't know what happened.  What - the mailman probably "did something to deserve it?"  The breed being so gentle and all.

Well apparently we know that the dog was running free without a leash and it attacked the mail man - who was not even in the dog's yard.

I guess I am part of the "angry ignorant mob" that insists that these "gentle" dogs be kept under the owner's control at all times.

No one is saying that the mailman deserved to be bit.

Everyone agrees that all dogs should be kept under the owners control at all times.

The point being made is that all dogs can and will bite under the right circumstances.  Singling out specific breeds and not individual dogs is what causes contention.  Much like grouping people of various ethnic backgrounds together.  Just as people should be viewed as individuals so should dogs.

@CrazyDaisyThank you.  I'm tired of the "this breed is misunderstood."  They are gentle....they are loving?  They may be, but a dog (no matter his breed) comes with its own temperament based on how he has been treated, taught and cared for.  On top of the fact that even despite all we know about dogs, they can and will still bite people.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Pit bulls account for the majority of fatal dog bites.  http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

Now yes, the article goes on to say how wonderful pit bulls can be - and attributes their occasions of visciousness to bad owners.  It also says that bad owners seem to flock to this type of dog.

And while it is certainly true that any dog will bite under the "right circumstances" I hardly think that delivering mail or walking down the street should put someone in that category.

NO dog should be running free out of the control of its owner - but clearly some owners are worse than others - and these seem to want the "bully breeds" as the articles says - so again, I hardly think that being wary of such dogs is ignorant hysteria.

I agree @Isobel Archer.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I guess deep in any dogs psych they are provoked when they attack or bite in general.  And my experience has shown that certain breeds are more likely to have an outlier if you will that is aggressive.  And i am very careful to sort the friend from the foe before handling any dog.  But i see a lot of dogs and i stand by what i said.  For example, On Tuesday a shepherd came in.  She was clearly wary of me and vice versa.  But she accepted me.  And then another person approached and she went after her.  SHe is unpredictable and the owner knows it.  Unlikely that can be coaxed out of her.  It is in her DNA.  I am glad that she accepted me.  Most do, and the ones that dont are difficult.  I think there is something that i project that most dogs like.  I read their body language, mostly their eyes to know where we stand.  And Dog Aggressive is a whole other level above just being territorial. We see that too.  And keep them apart from any others.

Honored Contributor

It seems like the neighbors all have some legitimate complaints.  Did everyone on the street complain to the Animal Control officer ????   Dogs go after mailmen all the time so, if that's the only complaint against the dog, the homeowner will probably just get warning.  If there are a number of complaints about an unleased, nuisnace dog, then they'll take it seriously.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I really feel sorry for the dog. Litigation has a way of changing people's behaviors. The mail person will be ok. It's the dog that I worry about.

I feel sorry for the dog in as much as he was doing what came natural,,,his fate now is 100% the  fault of the woman who owns him and yes, that is sad, very sad.  

About the mailman,,,that poor man.  My heart goes out to him.  I'm sure he will experience some PTSD and relive the pain of that bite for quite awhile.  Terrible,,,,terrible!  

Honored Contributor

Just my two cents here but I think folks have gotten so lax in their training and attention to their pets.  How can you think it is acceptable to let a dog out the front door so they can do their business on someone else's lawn and think this is just fine?

When I was seven years old, I was walking home from school bundled up in some God forsaken snowsuit (think South Park) so I could only see like three inches in circumfrance.  All I can remember of the incident was the horrified look on my mom's face as she was (as always) waiting for me and then getting knocked down by a large German Sheppard who went after the fake fur around the hood of my snowsuit.  Without the hood, he would have taken a chunk out of my face as I can still remember the impact to this day (and I am 60).  Please know he didn't attack me further and the family came flying out of the house (which is a good thing as I know my mom would have choked him to death with her bare hands) and in their defense I never saw the dog loose again.

Fast forward to a few years ago.  I'm in PetSmart and there was an incredibly aggressive Yorkie who was upsetting everyone standing in line as he/she would not stop barking and lunging from his perch in the shopping cart.  I had had enough and I turned around and said "if you don't stop barking I am going to grab you and give you a big kiss on the lips".  For a couple of seconds there was silence as the Yorkie was weighing his options but the part that bugged me the most is that the family immediately went after me (phffffttt) while everyone else standing in line started laughing.

I know there are aggressive breeds of all sizes but there are also very inattentive and/or spoiled dog owners of all sizes.  Training is key but who knows what you are encountering in an unfamiliar situation.

I have had furballs for most of my life and my heart breaks for these animals that are not trained or socialized properly.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I really feel sorry for the dog. Litigation has a way of changing people's behaviors. The mail person will be ok. It's the dog that I worry about.

I feel sorry for the mailman!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I am a fan of large dogs and currently have one.  My dogs have all been shelter dogs so therefore most were mutts.  Many dogs will bite because they are fearful.  They have not been socialized or have been previously mistreated.  The current dog I have is 75 pounds and a chow mix. I have a fenced in backyard and he has never been in the front without being on a leash.  He is a little more unpredictable then my previous dogs so I do not take him to the off leash dog park.  I think that the owner needs to be the responsible party.  That also goes for dogs that bark constantly.  I have got neighbors with small dogs that yap and it is very unpleasant living next door to them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I  love German Shepherds and my first dog was one we had for 17 years.

But, NO DOG should be loose like they are doing.  Going up to a house provokes territorial responses in many dogs, and the postman does that.  Same with making deliveries.

This is the fault of the owner and she should be held responsible.  I would also be extra careful about a dog that bites unprovoked.  Hope the dog was up to date on rabies vaccination.

Owners are responsible for their dogs.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  Thank you!  After all these posts, you are the first person to spell the breed's name correctly.  Reading this thread has been tantamount to fingernails on a chalkboard for me.  The correct breed name is German Shepherd Dog.

It is the only breed of dog I have ever truly loved.  They are magnificent animals--beautiful, loyal, fun loving and highly intelligent.  As was mentioned earlier, it is a working breed and the dogs require lots of activity to keep them happy and mentally healthy.  

There is a list of the Top Ten Most Dangerous Dog Breeds, and the German Shepherd Dog has been on it for a long time.  When the 

homeowners' insurance company learns they have a GSD in the house, particularly one that has bitten, their premiums are going to skyrocket.

Sadly, due to the owner's complete negligence, I'm afraid this dog's life might be in danger now.  I sincerely wish the neighborhood had strongly intervened before this became the issue.  

Edited to try to correct wonky spacing.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.