Frequent Contributor

Need some simple advice on transferring VHS tape to DVD.

I wonder where's a good place to take an old VHS tape to get it transferred to a DVD....anyone have a suggestion and/or review? My dad had all our old home movies transferred a few years ago from Super 8 film, and it cost a small fortune; but I'm assuming that's a totally different thing than from transferring a VHS tape.

I've googled this question, and I see places that advertise doing it...but I'm just wondering what your first-hand "buyer satisfaction" has been with any of the nationally known places, i.e., Wal-Mart, etc. I don't trust a company's advertisement alone.

What I'm trying to convert are the "Senior Year" VHS tapes from my kids' graduations...you know, the kind they make for the class that highlights the senior functions throughout the year. The kids got these, and here the tapes sit at their parents' house, now that they're grown and gone. We're slowly but surely trying to go through our house in preparation for downsizing some day, and these VHS tapes have great memories but are pretty useless in this format. I thought I'd get them transferred as a Christmas gift.

Do the stores usually keep the tape on site to make the DVD? I'm hesitant to have it sent off-site, which is why I'm looking for a brick-and-mortar store that does this. I know the chances are small, but I had a roll of 35-mm film lost in the mail years ago when it was sent out for development, and I don't want to lose these senior-year videos. My kids had the same classmates from K-12, so they had many, many close friends from those times.

TIA!