Respected Contributor

I was on Cobra for a year and a half and then had to buy my own insurance. It is very expensive but we didn't want to be wiped out if I were to get ill. I was so happy when I finally qualified for Medicare!

Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Have you looked into Cobra? I think you would be entitled to it thru your husband's soon to be former employer​.

Cobra is very expensive and only lasts for so many weeks...then she will have to look around again...

Cobra is expensive because you're paying the full premium without your employer's contribution.  That's what you do when you buy a private policy.  COBRA lasts 18 months.  It might not be a bad short term solution.

Contributor

In response to hckynuy  Husband is 65. Human resources at his work told me that once he's done that's it. Didn't explain anymore. He is diabetic. Didn't know about any state or federal programs. By the way I live in Pa.

Respected Contributor

@DMM05 wrote:

My husband is retiring very shortly. I am 59 and have been trying to find insurance for me that we can afford. I have been calling around for a few days to get prices and I am literally in tears!  I knew it was going to be rough but the prices are outrageous!! I would really appreciate some advice if you can. Thanks.

I'm so sorry, but I thought OBAMAcare was there to help you?  Isn't that what we were told?  All of you who are on Obamacare maybe you could help her?

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@DMM05 wrote:

My husband is retiring very shortly. I am 59 and have been trying to find insurance for me that we can afford. I have been calling around for a few days to get prices and I am literally in tears!  I knew it was going to be rough but the prices are outrageous!! I would really appreciate some advice if you can. Thanks.

I'm so sorry, but I thought OBAMAcare was there to help you?  Isn't that what we were told?  All of you who are on Obamacare maybe you could help her?

Obamacare is there for now - who knows what the future will bring?

Honored Contributor

@DMM05 wrote:

In response to hckynuy  Husband is 65. Human resources at his work told me that once he's done that's it. Didn't explain anymore. He is diabetic. Didn't know about any state or federal programs. By the way I live in Pa.

As a part of my husbands pension package - medical benefits are included for both of us until he turns 65 and is eligible for Medicare, then it stops.

I'm 6 months younger than he is and will either have to buy Cobra or find it someplace else.

Right now we have 2 years before we need to worry about it.

Honored Contributor

Your husband's company is required by law to offer him the option to buy you a policy under COBRA for 18 months. It is pricey but less than buying health insurance outright. I still think you'd be better off looking into a policy under the ACA.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Have you looked into Cobra? I think you would be entitled to it thru your husband's soon to be former employer​.

Cobra is probably the most expensive option on the market. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@DMM05

CLICKY CLICK-> 2017 Plan Information for Pennsylvania

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Cobra is probably the most expensive option on the market. 

No it isn't! You still get the group rate that the company negiotiated for their employees. It certainly opens your eyes though to how much it has cost your employer to insure you.