Frequent Contributor

Need help with older cat that does not groom herself

I would really love any suggestions for an older cat that does groom herself. We just recently adopted her (Annie) a few days ago. She was at the rescue for almost a year. She is just a sweet soul. They are not real sure about her age, but think 12-15 years old. She has the most unique coat color I have seen. Her coat is a blackish and frosted color. She has long hair. But because she does not groom herself, her coat appears to look greasy and mats easily. At the rescue they would comb and brush her very often and remove the mats as needed. They said they had her groomed once, but it did not make a difference. I have always had many cats, but this is the first one with the grooming problem. She is eating and drinking just fine and litter box deposits seem normal. She will be going to the vet on Monday to make sure everything is ok. I have been combing and brushing her gently. Is there something else we can do for her and help with her coat. I feel so sorry for her and want to do everything I can for her. Any suggestions, ideas or previous experience with this would be so much appreciated! Thank you so much!