Honored Contributor

Need advice on how to handle a sticky work situation

I will try to keep emotional out of this since it a a very tense situation, Last Tuesday, the day before my weekend great away I was told I now longer have a job, I have been a loyal, trusted employee for 16 years.

I work for a small company that is not doing well financially and they are changing their focuses from print to digital at least that is what I have been told.

I have since found out that they will publish and April issue and take it month by month.

They just hired a person do one of the features and are paying her 300 per month, I could of easily done this job

Here is the thing I have all the files from every publication I have created, I have all the info and knowledge on how to get the issue done and how to deal with the printer

I have not been offered a severance package but 2 weeks was mentioned at one point, I really think I should get more.

I am not getting any answers, I am angry and sad and confused.

Should I be stubborn and not give them anything before I get what I want, which is at least 6-8 weeks severance etc

Thanks all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice on how to handle a sticky work situation

[ Edited ]

I'm certainly no expert here, but I believe that if you are no longer employed (regardless of the reason) and are still in posession of some things that are rightfully theirs, you should speak to an attorney before you proceed. Just a suggestion off the top of my ancient hed.

Honored Contributor

Why not try negotiating for more severance before "blackmailing" for lack of a better word? They should know what your abilities are and what files you are privy to (but they are their files).  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox, what you need to find out is what is the minimum severance your company is required to pay you by law,  I would keep mum on everything until you know that.  It varies by state I believe.  Finding that out should be your first step.

How do you know how much they are paying the new hire?  In my experience, it is not a good idea to burn your bridges.  The work world can be a very small place.  Also, you must consider the fact that you may need a reference.  Losing a job because of the financial crisis in a company (downsizing) is better than losing a job for performance reasons.  Having a good reference is also important as you transition to your next position

Some times it isn't fair, I know but consider these things before you act in haste.  

Good luck to you.  LM

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I swore off these boards, but, I feel compelled to answer you. 

You owe them nothing other than the respect and courtesy that were given to you. I'm all for taking the high road, but, not for being taken advantage of, being taken for granted, or, being mistreated. Don't do anything illegal or unethical, though. 

You are allowed to withhold information, not, files, though. 

Take a few days to regain your balance before making a decision.  Go with your gut. It's, usually, right. 

"I contend that we are both atheists . I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."  Stephen Henry Roberts. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry you loss your job after being their for 16 years. You said they are paying the new hire $300.00 per month or $3,000.00 per month. Seeing that employment is an at will situation, they can terminate your employment anytime without a reason. Also, a company is not obligated to offer you any severance pay. I would not keep any files that belong to the company. They could prosecute you for stealing. I know it is hurtful but I would just move on. Now a days loyalty counts for very little in our working world.

Honored Contributor

I am going on totally what it seems like.  I would think that the work you did while working there (especially what pertained to your job) belongs to the company.

After all, they paid you for that work up until you were given your notice which I would think would mean they paid for ALL of the information/files you not obtain.

That's just an outsiders point of view.  I have no real knowledge but dollars to donuts, that's what the law would say too.

Trusted Contributor

@elated wrote:

I am sorry you loss your job after being their for 16 years. You said they are paying the new hire $300.00 per month or $3,000.00 per month. Seeing that emplyment is an at will situation. They can terminate your employment anytime without a reason. Also, a company is not obligated to offer you any severance pay. I would not keep any files that belong to the company. They could prosecute you for stealing. I know it is hurtful but I would just move on. Now a days loyalty counts for very little in our working world.

AGREE!!!

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxoxFirst, I am so sorry this is happening to you.  Separating from any job at which you've seen success for so many years is difficult, but

being pushed out - even if the reason is their finances - is far, far worse.

I suggest two things -  one is that you work quietly and find out your legal rights in your state and county.  ASAP!

Second is that you clarify who owns the files you mentioned, again with a reliable source.

And when you've done that - do everything legal to make the situation better for you.  You deserve that at the very least.

Don't burn bridges and don't take your employer's word as to what's legal. 

Honored Contributor

I would find out what your state law is regarding severance pay and unemployment.  Since they mentioned two weeks, I am thinking it's up to the employer if they give severance pay or not.  I was downsized years ago and got one week pay for every year worked, but I worked for a very large company.

It's good advise not to burn any bridges.  I would give all the files back and start looking for another job.  Best of luck.