Super Contributor

Need advice on Berlin, Ohio/Holmes County

DH and I are planning to visit Amish country in Ohio this summer.  Since we love Lancaster, PA, we want to check it out.  I would be so grateful for any advice from those who live in Ohio or have visited that area...I'm looking for a nice place to stay, good restaurants, fun things to do, great shopping places.  Thanking u in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on Berlin, Ohio/Holmes County

[ Edited ]

@Loveac wrote:

DH and I are planning to visit Amish country in Ohio this summer.  Since we love Lancaster, PA, we want to check it out.  I would be so grateful for any advice from those who live in Ohio or have visited that area...I'm looking for a nice place to stay, good restaurants, fun things to do, great shopping places.  Thanking u in advance!

@Loveac   I have not been there myself (and I think the Lancaster PA Amish population is much larger).  All I can tell you is that I have friends and relatives in Ohio and all who have been to the Inn At Honey Run in Amish country have raved about it and want to go back (come have stayed there and some  just dined at the restaurant). One couple I know goes for their anniversary every year. From what my friends/relatives have said about it, I've really wanted to go there some time

As for Berlin, be sure to go to an Amish foods place called Walnut Creek.  I've never been there either but I do have some of their foods in my cupboard and they are really yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am wating to see the responses you get OP because despite living so close to there for a while, I have only been once and it was a very short trip. I would love to do this in the fall. 

Going to check out that Inn Pearley posted about. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

We live a couple of hours away and go there regularly.   Berlin is very touristy. I would recommend shopping at Sol's.  It is a very large store.

Our favorite stop is Lehman's Hardware in Kidron.  They do have a website. This place has everything from old time, simple things the Amish in the area buy to modern stoves, etc.

Finally, I highly recommend Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen in Mt. Hope.  They have the best food in the whole area. The buffet is to die for ...the chicken is good and my favorite meal is the Amish Wedding Steak.  It's not really steak and it's not really meat loaf either.  Can't go wrong with anything you order there.

Trusted Contributor

I live an hour away from Holmes county and visit several times a year.  Unfortunately, over the years it has become more and more of a tourist trap.  Definitely, stay away from Berlin-it is a nightmare and you can get stuck in traffic a long time.  My best advice is to take the back roads and just drive around the countryside.  It is beautiful and you will see things that will take you back a century or more.  Watch out for the horse drawn buggies --there are lots of them and the countryside is very hilly (they call it little Switzerland).  there are lots of cheese factories, small bakeries, furniture places, amish bulk food stores to visit.  I think you can have a really enjoyable time if you just stay away from tourist traps.  I will write more later if you want.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much to all!  Yes, doodles, I'd like any other info u can give me....at your convenience, no rush.  Appreciate it!

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

We stayed at Holmes with a View, (in Millersburg) a pleasant place, clean and nicely appointed, and the view is tremendous.  I do not know if they still offer it, but our bill included a breakfast in town.  I do not remember the name of the place - it looked like an old diner -- but it was one of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten. The place was packed, obviously a local favorite.  

I agree with others' opinions about Berlin being too touristy.  And second the advice to tour the back roads.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

We live close and visit every month or so.

Kidron Ohio is a very small place, but Lehman's Hardware is a place one could pass several hours. Just down the road from there is a really nice thrift shop run by the Mennonite Church, called MCC Connections. 

Just about a 15 minute drive from Kidron, in Wilmont Ohio, is the best Amish buffet in the area, in my opinion. It is called Amish Door Restaurant. They have an inn there as well, and it is lovely. It is much more off the beaten path than Berlin and Sugarcreek, with lovely views from the rooms, and worth the drive down Rt. 62 (really beautiful) stopping at Wendel August Forge, before reaching Rt 39 and Berlin.

Continue south on Rt39 to Sugar Creek and points south, and there are lots of shops to visit. Lots of folks enjoy the drive to Charm as well, although there isn't much there to see or do.

A word of caution. Many people think they are going to find a lot of cottage industry, hand made Amish establishments, and there are some (especially furniture), but it is pretty commercial. 

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Loveac wrote:

@Loveac   I have not been there myself (and I think the Lancaster PA Amish population is much larger).  All I can tell you is that I have friends and relatives in Ohio and all who have been to the Inn At Honey Run in Amish country have raved about it and want to go back (come have stayed there and some  just dined at the restaurant). One couple I know goes for their anniversary every year. From what my friends/relatives have said about it, I've really wanted to go there some time

As for Berlin, be sure to go to an Amish foods place called Walnut Creek.  I've never been there either but I do have some of their foods in my cupboard and they are really yummy!

actually even though Lancaster is more well known due to movies and such, Ohio's Amish population is larger. I believe Middlefield is the largest area, but Holmes county combined with Wayne county has the largest overall. here is a link from 2015 census numbers.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_Amish_population

As for Holmes county, Sugarcreek is touristy but there are many charming villages to visit off the main road. Mount Hope and Charm are both very rural. Walnut Creek as a flea market that is TDF. Nearby is Malabar Farm, it is on the National Historic Register and was the wedding place of Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart, owned by Louis Bromfield at the time. If you are traveling the area you should go there. The Carlisle Inn is a great place to stay in Walnut Creek. 

I used to drive an Amish man from Middlefield to Sugarcreek annually to pick up Amish products made there to bring back to his store and also to bring them his wares which included hand made leather harnesses, saddles, belts, stirrup leathers and so forth. He was the best at this craft and his skills were superb so no one else was making thise handmade items. 

It's a wonderful trip. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.