Honored Contributor

Need To Replace Siding--How To Get Estimates

I would like to replace the cedar siding on my house with Hardiplank siding.  I haven't had any major work like this done on my house in years.  Where would I go to get reputable recommendations of someone to do this?  I know I've read about places like Angie's List on this board, but forget the names of other places.  Thank you for any suggestions you have.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Need To Replace Siding--How To Get Estimates

I would only deal with an established company, and not sideliners. Make sure they are insured. Find out if they carry any debt. We went with a well known firm, that had an excellent credit rating, and an established business for many years

You might pay more, but after all ,you only get what you pay for

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with what @cherry said. Try and get a look at some of the houses they have finished. Also, make it very clear (whoever you choose) that the work site has to be kept clean and if they don't you need to get on them.

Ask if they use reliable workers who know what they are doing. Sometimes workers will swear up and down they know what they are doing just to get a job.

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

Lowe's does a great job on siding.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know anything about siding because we don't use it out here but I have had good luck with Home Advisors. We also have several Home Shows during January through April and then again when it cools down in November that have vendors for just about anything you want done. Don't know if those shows are just an Arizona event or if they are all through the country.  Stay away from anyone on Craig's List. Make sure to go to the Better Business Bureau, and register of contractors. Also make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured and have been in business for awhile. Get at least three estimates and ask for addresses where you can go and look at the product.

Respected Contributor

Better business bureau ratings may be of help.
Honored Contributor

When we had our siding replaced, we talked to our neighbors. We saw which neighbor had siding done and talked to them. When we bought our house we knew we wanted to replace the siding but it wasn't the first thing on our list - it was around the 5th. So there was plenty of time to investigate.

We were thrilled with the job and the contractor.

Honored Contributor

When I wanted new siding , plus other work done we asked among our friends who had work done if they could recommend their contractor. One neam came up more than a few times as being very good so we called him. He came and looked at the job as a whole and gave us a price. We could not afford it all, had another meeting with him and we chose some different finishes to lower cost & my DH & him agreed on some work DH could do himself and it came down within our available money. Basically DH & I did all the demo work and the painting.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if your community has the feature Next Door. It is a neighborhood feature with reviews etc.

make sure the place has a valid up to date contractors license. Good rating with BBB. If you see a home with the siding you like. stop and ask them.

Always get several bids, and do background checks and ask for references.  EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, before you settle in on one type of siding, you may want to ask for recommendations on siding options.  I built a house ten years ago and I was surprised at some of the items available that I was unaware of at the time.  It pays to ask contractors and also to use the internet to get reviews on a particular item such as a brand of siding.  Asking neighbors is also a good idea.  One of the lessons I learned from our building experience was to canvass widely for opinions on products, especially when it is an expensive job like siding.

Good luck to you on your project.  New siding will give your home a nice facelift!  LM