Super Contributor

Re: Need To Replace Siding--How To Get Estimates

My husband and I had Hardie siding installed in 2012 and we love it.  I had researched online before we had the work done and, as with virtually anything else, there were a few bad reviews.  I'm sure that there are people who have had a bad experience, but truthfully we couldn't be happier.  If I recall correctly, the price was about a third more than vinyl siding.  The thing that most impressed me about the product is that it feels substantial. I was somewhat concerned about the fact that Hardie is not as popular where I live (New England) as it is in other parts of the country.  I have noticed, however, that more and more people here are using it.

We used a contractor who was doing work on our neighbor's house at the time we were thinking about the project.  We live in a small town, so we had heard about this contractor and he seemed to have a good reputation.  He had used the product and had us go to some job sites so we could check it out.  He and his crew did a wonderful job.

I think you should definitely do your research.  It's a lot of money to spend and you want to be sure you're making the right choice.  I hope you are happy with whatever you decide!

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat  Thank you so much for your reply.  I'm glad you're so happy with your siding.  I'm definitely going to do my research before making a purchase this large.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack, Someone just mentioned Hardiplank.

I am not wanting to bad mouth a company, however many years ago we put on a roof with a similar name.

I was talking with a friend from the board whose family owned a roofing company. She told me that the product I had used had been recalled. Unfortunately I was unaware, and the time had elapsed. The shake product crumbled and caused underlying problems.

Please do your research. 

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@NickNack, Someone just mentioned Hardiplank.

I am not wanting to bad mouth a company, however many years ago we put on a roof with a similar name.

I was talking with a friend from the board whose family owned a roofing company. She told me that the product I had used had been recalled. Unfortunately I was unaware, and the time had elapsed. The shake product crumbled and caused underlying problems.

Please do your research. 

Thanks for the warning @hennypenny.  I don't think the two are related though.  The siding is cement siding that looks like wood.  I just Googled the question asking if they ever made roofing and could not find anything.  I will do my research before choosing this siding though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Glad to see you checking. I used the product as we are in a high fire area and it was supposed to meet standards. Mine sort of resembled slate, Maybe check with a reputable roofing company to see if the products are related.

Honored Contributor

I've spent the last couple of hours reading about Hardiplank and reading reviews on it.  Most of the reviews are terrible and have sufficiently scared me away from it.  I just don't want wood siding again so will probably go with vinyl.  I've never liked it, but have a friend who has good quality vinyl on her house and it looks nice.  I do like the idea that you only need to clean it and not paint it.  Now I just need to figure out what I want and find a good contractor to put it on.  I also need a new garage door, so this is going to be a big project.

-Henry David Thoreau