Super Contributor

OVer the last few weeks we've had to throw out 2 half used loaves of Nature's Own wheat bread due to an awful, rancid smell. We keep it in a cabinet and the entire cabinet is filled with the smell and the crust of the bread had what looked like white powder on it.  This has just been a recent thing, we've used this brand in the past with no problem. Has anyone else had any issues wit hthis brand lately?

Trusted Contributor

I buy bread that has no preservatiives, I think like you do.  We take time finishing it, so I have to keep it in the refrigerator.  Sometimes, I even freeze half. 

Honored Contributor

We love Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread and have had no problems like you've experienced.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Could be some type of mold.

Is it coming from something else in the cabinet?

I needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

@leighagemini wrote:

OVer the last few weeks we've had to throw out 2 half used loaves of Nature's Own wheat bread due to an awful, rancid smell. We keep it in a cabinet and the entire cabinet is filled with the smell and the crust of the bread had what looked like white powder on it.  This has just been a recent thing, we've used this brand in the past with no problem. Has anyone else had any issues wit hthis brand lately?

Honored Contributor

If it is preservative free bread, you  need to refrigerate it. 

Super Contributor

@software wrote:

Could be some type of mold.

Is it coming from something else in the cabinet?

I needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

@leighagemini wrote:

No it's nothing else in the cabinet (we keep buns in there to and they are fine) and like I said this is just a recent accurance since we've used this brand before with no issue.

Super Contributor

There may be too much humidity in the cabinet and that's causing the bread to mold prematurely.

Respected Contributor

Directly from their website.........your bread is probably getting moldy.

With NO artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors, and NO high fructose corn syrup, we make bread that is simply delicious.

Respected Contributor

Just keep it in the fridge, and it will be fine.  If you buy ahead, then put it in the freezer.  Since I only eat one slice of my 100% whole wheat bread per day, I keep it in the freezer and only take out one slice at a time.  It thaws on its own almost immediately.  The rest stays fresh until I need it.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

If it has a yeasty smell it's starting to get moldy. Check the date before buying. I always thought that white stuff on the crust was flour? All we eat is bread that we make.