Honored Contributor

Re: NBA Takes All Star Game Out Of Charlotte

Just to comment on how long this has been going on .....

My first work experience with a Trans situation was when I worked at Max Factor of Hollywood in the late 1980's.    

A young man working in the Word Processing Department had met with HR and said he was transitioning .... and would start coming to work on Monday dressed as a female.    The meeting was to also ask which bathroom would they like him to use. as of Monday.    As it turned out, this wasn't a new event and they knew exactly what to do.   They gave him a key to a single bathroom on another floor.       

Interestingly, there was a former QVC vendor also working in the Marketing Dept when I was there ...... Leslie Blodgett.   When I first saw her on QVC. I kept wondering ..... why does that woman look so darn familiar to me?  lol

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@tansy, most of the small businesses that I've seen or used usually have one bathroom with no gender markings. 

To everyone else, how and why did this whole bathroom thing begin?  

If there is consensus this thread is done I'll answer as best I can based on local reports. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I hope the NBA finds a site where everyone can go to the bathroom of their choice---they can HAVE AT IT!!!  Have fun using the women's bathroom of your "dreams"....I've seen dirty tampons and kotex, dirty diapers....I once saw a women with a baby that had diarrhea give the child a bath in the sink...(and how would you have liked to used that sink after the janitorial staff supposedly did a quick "clean").....Most public women's bathrooms are stinky and dirty!!!  Sometimes I wished I could have used the men's room AND I'm definitely NOT transgender!!!  Be careful what you wish for. And that's JMHO on this whole bathroom issue!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

So happy to see Charlotte stick to their values. Maybe no basketball game but safe bathrooms for the women.

I totally agree!!  North Carolina is not the only state trying to stop this stupid "let everyone use whatever bathroom they want" ridiculousness. There are several states suing over this issue as we speak.  Just another example of how society continues to go downhill at a very rapid pace.

Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

So all small businesses are supposed to add on a third bathroom?  

No. Trans people use the bathroom of the gender they resemble and identify with.

This has been going on for DECADES...but since they look like a lady, and we use stalls, you never noticed.

This isn't always true.  There is a mall outside of Charlotte that has a small store where the main sales associate is transgender--obviously a male dressing as female.  I had heard about this person, but didn't know which store. DH and I bought ice cream and sat on a bench at that mall and heard all sorts of onlookers like they were looking at a freak show.  Mall security stayed outside the store while we were there.  The person was well over 6 feet without the stilettos.  The full beard, gait, frequent shifting of the wig, and incredibly tight short dress made it obvious.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

So all small businesses are supposed to add on a third bathroom?  

No. Trans people use the bathroom of the gender they resemble and identify with.

This has been going on for DECADES...but since they look like a lady, and we use stalls, you never noticed.

This isn't always true.  There is a mall outside of Charlotte that has a small store where the main sales associate is transgender--obviously a male dressing as female.  I had heard about this person, but didn't know which store. DH and I bought ice cream and sat on a bench at that mall and heard all sorts of onlookers like they were looking at a freak show.  Mall security stayed outside the store while we were there.  The person was well over 6 feet without the stilettos.  The full beard, gait, frequent shifting of the wig, and incredibly tight short dress made it obvious.

Dressing as a woman but with a full beard???  Wow, of course this person would get looks and comments.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

So happy to see Charlotte stick to their values. Maybe no basketball game but safe bathrooms for the women.

I totally agree!!  North Carolina is not the only state trying to stop this stupid "let everyone use whatever bathroom they want" ridiculousness. There are several states suing over this issue as we speak.  Just another example of how society continues to go downhill at a very rapid pace.

@12andcounting

I don't think it has anything to do with "values" at all.  It has to do with our humanity ... or a lack thereof.

Just curious .... what do you think is the ideal solution for this complex situation?

Valued Contributor

My solution is to have floor to ceiling doors in gender neutral bathrooms and dressing rooms.  Ditch the urinals.  Give everyone a little privacy.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Congratulations to the NBA Commissioner for his decision.  More importantly, North Carolina legislative bodies should restore the voting rights that they've restricted, some of the most harsh in the nation.  Their fervor about limiting LGBTQ rights is only matched by their restrictions of voting rights.

@Zernia Rose  I just have a legit question--I want to know how such a small percentage of the population can get laws passed/businesses take action to support them and be in their favor, but the large majority can't get one dang thing done????????????????????????? What is the secret....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

I believe that the military and sports are a barometer of eminent change in this country.  Both led in desegregation, support of the rights of women, and now LGBTQ rights although the military has far outpaced sports.  Military leaders recognize that creativity, talent, knowledge, and skills are needed in their efforts.  The decision by Secretary Carter to allow LGBTQ in the military is a continuation of that perspective.  The NBA long ago recognized that women were a part of their audience and that girls and women, along with males would support the WNBA.  Similarly, the NBA acknowledges and diligently seeks to diverse its audience nationally and globally.  Cynically, one might think that this is to increase their profits; but, it is also a recognition that the sport has admirers among many in ways that cross gender, racial, ethnic, language, religious, geographic, and other barriers.

@Zernia Rose  I think it's "follow the money" instead of everyone holding hands and singing "we are the world" which is indeed naive!