Respected Contributor

Re: NBA Takes All Star Game Out Of Charlotte

@dooBdoo wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I don't even understand why the NBA is getting into this.

I find it ridiculous.  Do they have players that are transgender?  Do they need North Carolina bathrooms?

They should stick to basketball.

Hyacinth

Directly from the NBA:

"The NBA has decided to relocate the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte with the hope of rescheduling for 2019.

"Since March, when North Carolina enacted HB2 and the issue of legal protections for the LGBT community in Charlotte became prominent, the NBA and the Charlotte Hornets have been working diligently to foster constructive dialogue and try to effect positive change. We have been guided in these discussions by the long-standing core values of our league. These include not only diversity, inclusion, fairness and respect for others but also the willingness to listen and consider opposing points of view.

"Our week-long schedule of All-Star events and activities is intended to be a global celebration of basketball, our league, and the values for which we stand, and to bring together all members of the NBA community -- current and former players, league and team officials, business partners, and fans. While we recognize that the NBA cannot choose the law in every city, state, and country in which we do business, we do not believe we can successfully host our All-Star festivities in Charlotte in the climate created by HB2.

"We are particularly mindful of the impact of this decision on our fans in North Carolina, who are among the most passionate in our league. It is also important to stress that the City of Charlotte and the Hornets organization have sought to provide an inclusive environment and that the Hornets will continue to ensure that all patrons -- including members of the LGBT community -- feel welcome while attending games and events in their arena.

"We look forward to re-starting plans for our All-Star festivities in Charlotte for 2019 provided there is an appropriate resolution to this matter.

"The NBA will make an announcement on the new location of the 2017 NBA All-Star Game in the coming weeks."

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/07/21/nba-statement-all-star-game-relocation-from-charlotte/

I know all this.  I just disagree with it.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I don't even understand why the NBA is getting into this.

I find it ridiculous.  Do they have players that are transgender?  Do they need North Carolina bathrooms?

They should stick to basketball.

Hyacinth

Oh boy.

this really shouldn't have to be explained but...

The NBA is making a statement. If NC persists with a discriminatory law, they intend to pull their business from that state.  Just as many other corporations have indicated they will do.  

I know exactly what they are doing.  When I said I didn't understand it, I guess I meant it differently.

And I don't agree with it.  Who uses what bathroom is now in the universe of the ridiculous, in my opinion.

That's all.  I don't want to get the thread removed by bringing out attacks.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

The "majority" is ephemeral. Never stagnant. The majority of yesterday will not be the majority of next week. So to say majority rules is almost meaningless because of the transitory nature.

@Say Nay

WOW!! I am impressed with the use of words I had to look up to give me a more extensive vocabulary. C'mon now, I bet you knew a high school dropout like me wouldn't have a clue what ephemeral meant.

While I appreciate your advancing my vocabulary, your use of those words do not match your concept of the definition of a majority. You make it sound like our  Midwest weather, which changes by the hour, or even minutes. Your understanding of "a majority" being stagnant(and that word I did know)? Guess it depends on when it is applicable to meet your definition.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

The "majority" is ephemeral. Never stagnant. The majority of yesterday will not be the majority of next week. So to say majority rules is almost meaningless because of the transitory nature.

@Say Nay

WOW!! I am impressed with the use of words I had to look up to give me a more extensive vocabulary. C'mon now, I bet you knew a high school dropout lime me wouldn't have a clue what ephemeral meant.

While I appreciate your advancing my vocabulary, your use of those words do not match your concept of the definition of a majority. You make it sound like our  Midwest weather, which changes by the hour, or even minutes. Your understanding of "a majority" being stagnant(and that word I did know)? Guess it depends on when it is applicable to meet your definition.

hckynut(john)

It's always good to learn new words and concepts.

@Marp wrote the same thing about the changing nature of majority. It even has a link for your convenience. Or do you not take advantage of links posted? 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Goodness gracious!  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

What will they do when the BC says "Gender Undetermined"?

It happens, folks.

Educate me, what does this mean? I have never heard of this.

ask mr google  

it does happen 

Honored Contributor

Let's ask this question

how many of us have ever seen any one trans use a public bathroom?

never,  because you don't know

it's scaremongering

and sad

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

So happy to see Charlotte stick to their values. Maybe no basketball game but safe bathrooms for the women.

safe?

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Say Nay

WOW!! I am impressed with the use of words I had to look up to give me a more extensive vocabulary. C'mon now, I bet you knew a high school dropout lime me wouldn't have a clue what ephemeral meant.

hckynut(john)

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Abraham Lincoln

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Let's ask this question

how many of us have ever seen any one trans use a public bathroom?

never,  because you don't know

it's scaremongering

and sad

What do you mean by "you don't know"?