Esteemed Contributor

I go by my given name---which I like---but it's also a "top 10" name for dogs in the U.S. I can't tell you how many people I've met who tell me they know dogs with the same name. LOL

Honored Contributor

I like my given name,but for some reason my husband liked to shorten it. I told him I hated it when he called me that so he started calling me Hon. He's been calling me Hon for 42 years.

Respected Contributor

My mother called me many aberitiins of my name, but the only one that stick was adding "ie" to my name. My dh picked it up, as did my best friend. When we belonged to groups together she'd call me by that name. Years later, I can tell where I know someone from by the name they call me!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Seems that everybody I know calls me by what they "think" my name is (or should be).    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

My mom wanted to give me one name, (pretty name) my dad another....My mom won, so my dad just called me by his name anyway...!

When my dad died, I remember asking my aunt, who would call me by his name?  Next week I received a note from my aunt, it began by calling me by my dad's name-It stuck...

Mostly for me as well,  just legal documentation now with my given name.

That kind of happened with my older sister. My grandmother didn't like her first name and would only ever call her by her middle name. I couldn't figure it out because both names were common, plain and one syllable and neither name had anything to do with prior generations, so seriously nothing to dislike.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My Dad named me and I feel it is a beautiful name. My Mom wanted to call me Bertha - thank God when the lady made rounds to ask  for the information for the birth certificate she was asleep and my dad quickly came up with a different name.However, because of my red hair he always called me Ginger anyway.In high school it stuck and now everyone who knows me calls me Ginger. Since my Mom & Grandma died no one is left that  calls me by my  proper name.

Honored Contributor

A dear friend of mine is Hispanic.  Whenever I hear about nick names I think about her.  She told me somehow when she became an American citizen her name was changed because the person writing down names couldn't pronounce or spell her name.  She doesn't even have an accent so I have no idea what the problem was.  She laughs about it and says it's because there aren't enough Hispanic looking women (beautiful I might add) named Susan (swear to you)....

I kept hearing her called another name by family and friends from what I knew.  She said she eventually had it legally changed to her birth name, (which incidentally isn't difficult to pronounce or spell at all and only has 5 letters in it).

Honored Contributor

My given name is Carmela.  Almost everyone calls me Carmie.

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

My mom wanted to give me one name, (pretty name) my dad another....My mom won, so my dad just called me by his name anyway...!

When my dad died, I remember asking my aunt, who would call me by his name?  Next week I received a note from my aunt, it began by calling me by my dad's name-It stuck...

Mostly for me as well,  just legal documentation now with my given name.

That kind of happened with my older sister. My grandmother didn't like her first name and would only ever call her by her middle name. I couldn't figure it out because both names were common, plain and one syllable and neither name had anything to do with prior generations, so seriously nothing to dislike.

Grandmother's can be that way some times. She said lovingly.  She may have just had a bit of a quirk about it...it happens...

For me...my first name only has three letters, it seemed stark in comparison to my dad calling me Emily....His seemed softer for some reason...even shortened to two letters or in a note merely as "M"...I don't know....maybe it was just a dad thing.

Honored Contributor

People who know me call me by the last part of my given name. All others call me by my  full given name. For example if my name was Maryjane, then my friends would call me Jane.