Honored Contributor

My previous thread about journalism

Thank you to everyone who commented on that. I couldn't add a reply to it, so it must be closed. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one concerned about where journalism is today. And Yahoo! - one of my friends said last week they were getting to be a little too much to take with some of the articles they post, but that's still my home page - for now! 

I tried to think if I would ever use this as a discussion point with students. No - can't even think of doing that! (I still haven't read the article.) 

Respected Contributor

Re: My previous thread about journalism

Did you see the movie "Truth"? It's about the Dan Rather debacle. A perfect movie for journalism students.

Honored Contributor

@MarilynM wrote:

Did you see the movie "Truth"? It's about the Dan Rather debacle. A perfect movie for journalism students.

I haven't. Thanks for recommending it! I teach English, but I've had some experience with journalism in the past. There was much more fact and much less opinion! 

Esteemed Contributor

I DO BELIEVE that the MEDIA makes the news  and from one source to another we can see the difference IN THE TRUTH as they see it.  I honestly have stopped watching.  I want to know what happened and not what everyone says about it.  I watched pundihewho don't really know more than I about what is going to be the end results.    Seems THEY have a crystal ball, or an inspiration from heavens... and only they and their opinions are right.  

I am a daughter of a lifelong prominent journalist.  We got 5 or so papers daily (even more on the weekend).  My father taught me that even the placement on the page could determine the differenc in viewpoint and he wanted to examine it all and make up his own mind.  

Valued Contributor

If you haven't read the article, I'm not sure how you can make a blanket statement about journalism today. 

The article is actually quite good- and well thought out.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

Case in point: A nightly news anchor lied more than once about his experience in covering the war and was suspended for Six months. I just saw him the other night doing primary coverage. Seriously how on earth can I ever trust him again to tell me the news? 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

If you haven't read the article, I'm not sure how you can make a blanket statement about journalism today. 

The article is actually quite good- and well thought out.

I'm glad to hear that. I was mostly concerned about the attention-grabbing headline, but I should have read it.