Respected Contributor

Re: My daughters college roommate quit school

It was allowed at the school my daughter attended. Many kids were from out of state, and many worked off campus.

Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

hmmmm, I haven't heard of many colleges which allow freshmen to have cars on campus.  

Maybe in other countries..

Oh well.

Other countries? 

You've never heard of a college in the United States that allows freshman to have a car on campus?

Valued Contributor

I think more allow cars than don't. 

The biggest restriction I know is that many schools force freshmen to live on campus.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband worked at a college for over 35 years. This is nothing to what is abandoned each year in May/June.

The college does not want anything to do with it..the workers would have to get rid of it and dump it. Most took what they wanted. This was a very prestige Ivy League College also.

The OP did nothing wrong...a comforter adn other items ..$200 bucks isn't even on the familie radar I am sure. Otherwise they wouldn't of left it and made immediate arrangements.

I don't blame her, it was very kind of her to take the stuff. I would contact them in some way. Sure your daughter has cell #..and see if they have any requirements ..if not your idea of donating to charity is nice.

Not everything is the type to refuse to help out...be it the school or a ex roommate or in this case her daughter.  She did nothing wrong in my opinion regardless of what facts where told when.

I think she was more shocked that the roommate just walked out on ten grand in tuition after being there a short time and totally into the boyfriend and nothing else...so the tuition and the items were lost.  I am sure the parent are dealing with a lot on the other end that the items for the dorm aren't even on their mind.

ETA: Yes they were allowed cars on the campus of college where DH worked too...all levels..from Freshman up...and the college provided a shuttle into the local town and another one a bit farther away for shopping for those that didn't have transportation. It is a college in the country so walking wasn't an option all the time.

Honored Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

No, the school said they didn't want the stuff, and it shouldn't have been left.

A new roommate is moving in and it can't be there.

I will hang on to it for now and would gladly ship it if someone paid me but so far, no one has asked for that to happen. 

@petepetey  Then the school should have removed the items since the "tenant" is no longer there. Techinically the tuition included her "rent" for the dorm room and the school is responsible to contact the student and her parents.

I think you made an irresponsible move and let us know how Judge Judy works out for you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Photo Donna wrote:

I think more allow cars than don't. 

The biggest restriction I know is that many schools force freshmen to live on campus.

Our daughter had to live on campus when she was a freshman even though we had a family friend that would have housed her and I pretty certain she had to have some sort of a meal plan her first year.

I can't remember if she was allowed by the school to have her car or not. We didn't let her have it her first year.  The school provided plenty of transportation and if she wanted to come home, she had to take the train.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

hmmmm, I haven't heard of many colleges which allow freshmen to have cars on campus.  

Maybe in other countries..

Oh well.

Other countries? 

You've never heard of a college in the United States that allows freshman to have a car on campus?

@bri20  *snort* I had a car as a freshman.  Just needed a student sticker and park in a designated area.  And *surprise* it was in the USA.   ROTFL!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I am confused about her belongings in regards to if the room is still hers since she paid in advance for it.  I would think you would have left her belongings there or at least let the school hold them.  Do not think taking them to your home was the wise choice even if the room is no longer her for the remainder of the semester.

In ten years she may not even remember this boyfriend's name or they may have two children and a happy life.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

O/T: Points well-taken.  Are they really going to tell us?  (lol)  I'll re-ask a few more over here.  Seems like fun, though. I can't imagine the young men sitting in their rooms and not wandering around here and there, chatting.  I'm only thinking that unless we (well, I ) actually go into a dorm and take a look...........Re: the roomate's belongings:  I would have called the mother (mainly because she paid for all of her daughter's belongings, which were newly purchased).   Ask her what to do with them.  Although someone here mentioned that the room is paid through the semester.  Can the college re-rent a room that is already paid by someone else?  I guess so, now that I'm thinking about it.  I'd say that the dorm management should 'store' the items for thirty or more days, or whatever the contract states. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

SMH at the judgements made by people who have no clue what really transpired in the "drop out's" family. Do we really know that the mom dropped the daughter off and walked away, do we really know if the daughter and her family have problems?  Do we really know that the mom just wanted to get rid of her daughter or she wanted the daughter to be away from her boyfriend?  What was the point of stating that the roommate and her boyfriend spent 3 days in a motel?  We're attributing a lot of stuff to people we don't know from a hole in the wall.

BTW, I would have asked my daughter to text the roommate about the disposition of her belongings.  And I would explain to my daughter that these things often happen with young people and it doesn't mean their lives are ruined.

100% agree with you. 

And daughter should not not concern herself with her roommates lives so much and just focus on her own studies.