Honored Contributor

Re: My daughters college roommate quit school

I just read the entire thread and all I will say is that it wasn't the O P's job or business to clean out her daughter's dorm room.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@petepetey helicopter parent comes to mind after reading this post.lol

Respected Contributor

I think you need to back off a bit now that your daughter is learning to be away from home. It isn't easy, but it's good not to swoop in and take over. I think that is what is happening. Things will ease up!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It beats what happened to my coworker a few years ago.  Her girl was the first in their entire family to go to college.  It had been her dream since she was 6.  A brilliant girl who was co valedictorian.    There were no indications that she had any second thoughts.  They drove her and her belongings to college, 3 hrs away.  Everything seemed good.   Six days later she and her belongings came home.  She had called a friend to come and get her.  A year later, she enlisted in the Navy and was accepted into a Navy medical corps  program, which is tough and very competitive and she excelled.  She intends to make the Navy her career, she loves the life and is now engaged to a young man who is a registered nurse....in the Navy, of course.  

Reminds me of a college roommate who was always independent and adventurous.  She had attended several colleges and had even been a volunteer firefighter.  Then one day she announced she was dropping out (again) and joining the Air Force.  We were skeptical.

Next thing we knew, we were all driving down to her parents' house to attend her wedding.  She met a great guy and after a time they had a beautiful baby girl.  None of us would have predicted it, but she made a choice that worked out for her.  She was happy.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY They skipped me from 4th to 6th grade and I graduated high school at 16. It was very difficult - I was always the smallest and youngest kid. Anyway , my nursing school said NO WAY - she will have to wait until she is 17 so I went from part time to full time at my after school job in my family bakery and put a lot of money in the bank, and went to nursing school the next year. 

Actually, I highly recommend letting a kid get a job for a year before college - they mature and they put some money in the bank , and mostly they get to enjoy themselves for a short time before they have to knuckle down and hit the books again. I had a good time that year and I was ready to start again when it was time for school the next year.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@ROMARY They skipped me from 4th to 6th grade and I graduated high school at 16. It was very difficult - I was always the smallest and youngest kid. Anyway , my nursing school said NO WAY - she will have to wait until she is 17 so I went from part time to full time at my after school job in my family bakery and put a lot of money in the bank, and went to nursing school the next year. 

Actually, I highly recommend letting a kid get a job for a year before college - they mature and they put some money in the bank , and mostly they get to enjoy themselves for a short time before they have to knuckle down and hit the books again. I had a good time that year and I was ready to start again when it was time for school the next year.

There are many kids who graduate from college and never do anything with their degree either because they took the wrong path or didn't really like the path of study they chose.I think this is because they are too young and immature to make those important decisions. I also think a year of work before going to college is a good idea for many kids.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

They call it a Gap Year in England and it's very common in Great Britain and Europe. We're seeing it more here now.  Sometimes it's to work and save some money but often it's just to give the kid a breather.  A year to relax and breathe and do what they want to do.  I remember my cousin's son took a year off before college and joined City Year where he helped rehab houses for homeless families. 

Honored Contributor

I also am a great believer that if a kid hasn't selected a profession they want to persue they should go to community college and start their basics until they make a decision. If they still can't decide after 2 years then maybe they need to get out into the workforce and learn what the real world is about instead of wasting a lot of money and graduating without any way to earn a living but with heavy college debt.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in college, they would either trash the left over room junk or put the good stuff in the hall for anyone to take. In college, there is always someone who will take anything.

Some kids I knew took stuff out of the dumpster, especially furniture.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

151949:  Yes!  Similar with me here, without going into much detail.  It (working first) prompted me to be more mature a few months later after high school. And I ran across more 'mature' (more or less) friends on my same level, too. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).