Super Contributor

My daughters college roommate quit school

3 weeks ago my daughter started college, about 1.5 hours from home. She is happy and doing great. 

Her roommate lasted just 2 weeks. She came from across the country, never having visited the college. Her mom flew her there, shopped for all the dorm items and moved her in and went home. 

The girl had a new boyfriend who talked with her non-stop on facetime. The girl sat in her room with the door shut and barely went out, other than to classes and to grab food.

My daughter kept inviting her to do things. They did like each other and got along just fine. 

Week 1 the boyfriend drove 24 hours to see her. They went to a motel for 3 days. 

Then, at the end of that week she found a greyhound bus that would take her home, she quit school. (they are out about $10,000, no refunds)

So she left about $200 worth of stuff behind. This weekend I removed it from the room and brought it home. I will donate it to chartiy. The school said she should not have left anything behind and didn't do anything with it. 

It makes me so sad to have to do this. One day you are hopeful and shopping for all this new stuff, full of joy and all too soon it was junk she couldn't haul away. 

Respected Contributor

Re: My daughters college roommate quit school

Sounds to me like the Mom wanted to get her daugher far away from the boyfriend and it didn't work.

Just totally guessing.

Respected Contributor

She never visited the college?

Sounds like the mom wanted her to go there. 

Will your daugther be getting a new roommate?

Honored Contributor

I don't know why you removed the items so very quickly.   Why not leave them there for the semester or quarter.  Perhaps the roommate's family would have sent for them or some of them?  I just don't think they were yours to take and dispose of!  It wasn't your property!

Honored Contributor

Better now (out $10,200) than four years later (out $50,000+).  College isn't for everyone. 

Honored Contributor

I would t get rid of her things too quickly...she might come back after her parents talk to her.

Honored Contributor

OP - I don't understand why you feel this is any of your business or why you would remove belongings that are not yours. If she would come back for that stuff it won't be there, so what will your daughter tell her about it? 

Trusted Contributor

I would contact the girl's mother and ask her what she wants to do with the left items. Sorry, they are not yours to deal with. If she gives you permission to donate it all, fine. She might just want the things back. You never know. It is her decision, not yours. 

Super Contributor

No, the school said they didn't want the stuff, and it shouldn't have been left.

A new roommate is moving in and it can't be there.

I will hang on to it for now and would gladly ship it if someone paid me but so far, no one has asked for that to happen. 

Honored Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

No, the school said they didn't want the stuff, and it shouldn't have been left.

A new roommate is moving in and it can't be there.

I will hang on to it for now and would gladly ship it if someone paid me but so far, no one has asked for that to happen. 

I still think you should have let the school deal with her belongings.