Honored Contributor

Re: My car broke, I'm heartbroken

Hard to diagnose any internal combustion engine without seeing gauges or hearing the specific noise. If this car had gauges for/temperature/oil pressure/ammeter, you should have been able to see which one was not in the range where you usually find it. With lights, many times it is "after the fact" or too close to do much except wait for it to happen.

With so much computerized things on motor vehicles nowadays it could be just about anything. I'm familiar with many different types of noises that come from differing parts of motor vehicles and many times it has nothing to do with the engine itself.

If the engine still had full power is one thing/partial power another. Since you said you "chugged to the mechanic" is certainly is not a blown engine. If an engine expires it usually freezes or comes apart in pieces. There is no way an expired engine will "chug" anywhere. It will only go as far as it will coast and if it is frozen and in gear? That will be a very, very short distance depending on the speed of vehicle when it expired.

Could list a ton of things but that takes a visual look before anyone can analyze the problem(s). If you bought this car brand new and took good care of it, 15 years is not old. Could be a high highway mileage vehicle and that is always a good thing. Less strain on all the components that make up a motor vehicle that the stop and go type of driving.

Guess you will have to wait to see what the mechanic comes up with to know. I am very familiar with many, not so good things, happening at the same time. I am a 1 thing or step at a time type of person and not too many things overwhelm me. Hope all works out well for you.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My family makes fun of me because I get SO emotionally attached to my cars. I used to cry when I had to get a new one and I always drive them for at least 250,000 miles.

I HATE car payments and car repairs!

I just had to get 4 tires for my Santa Fe and new brakes. I would rather pay the $1500 for repairs on a 7 year old car than start over new.

I know some people who just lease and get a new car everything 2-3 years. I could never do that.

15 years is a great run for a car...you must take good care of it. I really feel for you!

Respected Contributor

Thanks again everyone. I asked one of my neighbors boyfriend to just take a look at it so I wouldn't seem too ignorant when I bring it to the mechanic. He said it sounds like the muffler. If that's all it is I get to keep her a while longer.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 reiki604 said: Thanks again everyone. I asked one of my neighbors boyfriend to just take a look at it so I wouldn't seem too ignorant when I bring it to the mechanic. He said it sounds like the muffler. If that's all it is I get to keep her a while longer.

GREAT news!

Honored Contributor

If you ever need a new car and can't get to the dealership, call them. They will probably come and get you.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 kachina624 said: If you ever need a new car and can't get to the dealership, call them. They will probably come and get you.

One time, my old Fiat Spider gave up the ghost. The engine blew.

I called a Subaru dealership - they sent someone to get me...sold me a car and gave me a loaner until my car was ready the next day.

Super Contributor

Yes 15 years is a great run for a car and I also get attached to my cars and my car is a 2002 that I bought in 2001........she only has 110,000 miles and can go another 100,000.......I love her so and I just don't want a car payment I would be strapped to do nothing and barely eat.....I hope your repair is minor OP........it is easy to get attached to a car......they are our safety and get us around when we need to see the doctors, work or buy food or visit friends and family..........I pray mine last me until I can pay for a new one in cash......so I have to get my mind on buying a new car instead of skin care.

Honored Contributor

Hello, RRR! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If the mechanic gives you 'the run around', tell him that he has to talk with us!! (LOL.....)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Now I am and have been a "car guy" since I bought my first car when I was 15 years old. Couldn't drive it for a year after buying it but my sister kept it moving regularly.

I've had many new cars, some of which were also race cars. I had a custom painted Mustang Mach I, and it had was 3 different colors over the years I owned it, and I bought it brand spanking new.

While I liked every one of this cars I never looked upon any of them as "something I loved" and there was no "separation anxiety" when I sold them. I sold all of them privately, no dealer trade-ins. I saw them being driven by those that bought them from me but they were just another car I used to own.

Surprises me that some of the ladies here seem to love their cars more than I did. I spent hours working on them for racing and polishing them for some Car Club Auto Shows. To me they were still just another vehicle that I owned. Guess some have more love to spread around to objects than I do. I reserve my love for people and live furry critters and that is enough for me.

hckynut(john)