Respected Contributor

Re: My bank card has been compromised - AGAIN!!!!

Now is the time the hackers will be sending through e-mails stating you need to reset your password through the link...........don't do it!

There WAS a problem out there, as someone stated, it was 2014, that was a long time ago and you should go in every 3-6 months anyway on your own and change passwords.

Please don't fall for all these e-mails you will be getting telling you to reset your password, just more scams.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom  The Wendy's breach was about three months ago.  I read about it in the business section of the newspaper then checked their website.  They offered the usual year of free monitoring but my bank just canceled my card I'd used there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago, the company who handles my husbands pay ( not his employer) has hacked.  There were thousands of accounts involved from many different employers.

The company sent out letters to everyone.  Because people are paid by electronic transfer, the hackers got names, SS  numbers, addresses and phone numbers that were on file.

They paid for a service to monitor everyone's accounts fora few years and purchased insurance in case anyone had a problem.

My husband closed his credit union account and opened another one,  So far, no one has tried to use any of his information, but now every time we try to use the debit cards for an on line purchase, the card is declined.  Last year at Christmas time, I had trouble buying from Walmart and this summer too.  The card is always declined and I have to use another one,

A few days later, we get a call from the credit union asking if the attempted purchase was legit,

A couple of months ago, I tried To make a withdrawal at the credit union in cash.  They would not allow me to do so without a code word.  I had to call my DH to ask him what it was.  I had proper ID and I am on the account.

I can relate to the OP, this is getting crazy.  There has to be a better way to do this,

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of emails for password resets with a link. Don't do it.  Best  bet when you are unsure, call the credit card company(phone number on the back of your card).  

Change your passwords often and make sure you do not use a simple password.

Valued Contributor

After the same happened to us for the 3rd time I did some investigating on my own.  Here's what my friend who works at a well-known bank told me.  If you have to hand over your card make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the cashier does not say, "ok, I'll be right back.  The cc machine up here isn't working."  Yell STOP very loudly!!!  They take your card in the back to copy your numbers, including the 3-digit code! (Happened to us at a restaurant on xmas eve!)  Memorize your 3-digit code and cover it with a permanent marker.  Lastly, always say "credit" if they ask debit or credit.  The less you use your pin # the better.  So far, so good!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@BeckiWV wrote:

There was apparently a big yahoo hack today, 500M accounts.  I tried to change my password but I don't know if it worked or not.  I changed my password but still couldn't get in.  It's telling my answers to my security questions are wrong.  I know darn well they are not.  I am waiting for help from yahoo.  Probably be awhile with this many people down.  Boo.  

The hacked occurred in 2014.  Yahoo is just now notifying the affected folks.  If YOU have NOT been notified, don't worry about it.

Why would Yahoo wait so long to notifty their customers?

I use Yahoo mail as a junk mail address.

Respected Contributor

It is what it is these days.

I don't stress myself out over it. I scan my credit frequently to make sure the charges are mine but havent "knock-on-wood" found any that were not.

That said - I have been involved in large company breaches that they notify you of..and that has happened several times and the PITA it is as you said..we/I have a lot of monthly automatic payments taken out and there is always one I forget!

It is not avoidable so I just let it be. The banks take the hit and refund the money and until it hits them in the pocket where it hurts they won't do anything.

Honored Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

There was apparently a big yahoo hack today, 500M accounts.  I tried to change my password but I don't know if it worked or not.  I changed my password but still couldn't get in.  It's telling my answers to my security questions are wrong.  I know darn well they are not.  I am waiting for help from yahoo.  Probably be awhile with this many people down.  Boo.  

Nope, the hack was from 2014 and they are letting us know NOW!! Geez.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

We were told that hackers frequently make small purchases to "test" whether they'll be picked up by security sweeps. We've luckily had very few problems through the years, and a.l were picked up quickly.

Honored Contributor

violann wrote:

We were told that hackers frequently make small purchases to "test" whether they'll be picked up by security sweeps. We've luckily had very few problems through the years, and a.l were picked up quickly.

I have seen that!    A couple of times it was done that way and, since I caught and reported those, they were unable to go further.

We must always know what's going on with our credit/debit cards.  This is why I love that I get notices of every charge that goes when it's not a 'card in hand' purchase.