Esteemed Contributor

Re: My bank card has been compromised - AGAIN!!!!

@beach-mom, if you don't use tap and pay there is no reason to have a RFID card.  Ask your bank to issue a card without RFID capability. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My bank does not do emails or text, ever!  If there is a problem you will get a phone call from them.  All other busines is conducted by snail mail.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

There was apparently a big yahoo hack today, 500M accounts.  I tried to change my password but I don't know if it worked or not.  I changed my password but still couldn't get in.  It's telling my answers to my security questions are wrong.  I know darn well they are not.  I am waiting for help from yahoo.  Probably be awhile with this many people down.  Boo.  

Honored Contributor

I use PayPal online and haven't had any problems since I've had that account.  Several years ago my credit card was compromised for a couple of charges, both of them like an odd amount, $2.23 and the like.  My CC company also said they were testing to see if  the charge would work.

Respected Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

There was apparently a big yahoo hack today, 500M accounts.  I tried to change my password but I don't know if it worked or not.  I changed my password but still couldn't get in.  It's telling my answers to my security questions are wrong.  I know darn well they are not.  I am waiting for help from yahoo.  Probably be awhile with this many people down.  Boo.  

A few minutes ago I was able to get into my account and change my password.  Earlier I could not.

Honored Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

The hacked occurred in 2014.  Yahoo is just now notifying the affected folks.  If YOU have NOT been notified, don't worry about it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Also credit cards can be made so even with RFID protection, a criminal can make a card, with numbers on it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your comments everyone - it's good to know I'm not alone. I just thought it was strange to have happened twice in the last three months. This is the e-mail my bank sends. I get annoyed with them when they deny charges when we're traveling, but their attention during this more than makes up for it. 

URGENT: Please Verify Recent Card Activity

Your  Card Ending in xxxx

Dear xxxxx

As part of our commitment to protecting the security of your card, we continuously monitor for possible fraudulent activity. We need to verify that you or someone authorized to use your card made the following transaction(s) on your  Card ending in xxxx

Merchant Amount Date Time Location  

Please click on one of the two statements below that best represents the transactions above:

If the dollar amount is not identical to what is shown on a transaction receipt, this may be due to a pre-authorization which has not yet posted to your account.

The merchant location may be different than you expect for internet transactions as they are often cleared through a centralized billing location.

If you have already spoken with us about these transactions, then no further action is required.
Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. If you have any questions about the content of this email, please don't hesitate to contact us at xxx from the U.S. and Canada. If you prefer, use the phone number on the back of your card. For your convenience, we are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you for being a valued customer.

Sincerely,

@GATORGIRL - I use it online at certain trusted sites (QVC is one), but I rarely let them "keep" my card information.

@Kachina624 - I ate at Wendy's in another town last week. Was this recent?

@Marp - Our bank sent a letter out last spring saying by August 31 everyone had to be using a chip card, and they automatically sent us each new ones. DH's is still in the drawer! DS' is too - he didn't take it to college with him and still uses his old one. DH hasn't had any problems using his old one. I talk to some retailers who like the new technology and some who don't. One grocery store has the chip machine; one doesn't. 

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom, the new chip cards (EMV or chip and pin/sign) do not use RFID technology so that is one less source of theft.

Has any information been given to you that would indicate RFID was the source of theft?  I'd be looking for a commonality in where you last used the card before there was fraudulent activity and if you can pinpoint it avoid that place (after you alert them which the bank should do).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@beach-mom, the new chip cards (EMV or chip and pin/sign) do not use RFID technology so that is one less source of theft.

Has any information been given to you that would indicate RFID was the source of theft?  I'd be looking for a commonality in where you last used the card before there was fraudulent activity and if you can pinpoint it avoid that place (after you alert them which the bank should do).

@Marp -  Good idea! The ONLY place I used it today was this morning at a coffee shop. I was only in there a minute or two. There were only two other people sitting in there - an older couple - and I stood there while they swiped my card and handed it right back to me. I just don't see how anything else could have happened there. I think it's either an online thing, or maybe gas station/grocery store.