Honored Contributor

Put this on the "Health and Wellness Forum" yesterday. Thought there might be many that never get over to that forum that just might be among the "cataract fixing time", so decided to put it here also. I know these new lenses were a big surprise to me when it was my time. For those that can afford the Premium, if their doctor says it will work for them, it is worth spending the extra money.

These Premium iOL's will pay for themselves over the years for me because I no longer will have the need to buy prescription glasses. And I've been having to buy new prescriptions more often the last few years.

Went to see my Ophthalmologist this morning and have set up the date for my next Cataract Surgery. Been a month since I had my left eye surgery, and with this one I had what is called a "Multi-focal Lens" installed. This right away did away with my needing glasses to read papers and even small print on prescription bottles. It was like I regained something that I had thought would never return, and I would need glasses forever. This is called a Premium IOL, and my insurance did not cover a lot of the costs.

Now my right eye I've decided, after consultation with my Ophthalmologist, to got with the standard "Mono-focal Lens". This type of lens is completely covered by Medicare and my Secondary Insurer, so for that I am also very happy. I can tell you this, when I cover up my "good eye" and look at a picture, the colors are dull and do not even look the same color as when I do the same, cover up my "bad eye", every color is sharp and clear and very bright. I didn't realize how bad this was until I tried this "covering up" of the eyes.

I did have not a single problem with the surgery, nor have I had an problems in the month since it was done. Unlike most "normal people", I am one that can't wait for this surgery. If I could have scheduled it for tomorrow I would have done so. As is, it is scheduled for the day after Memorial Day, which is May 31st.

For anyone here that is on Medicare and have a cataract problem? I suggest you talk with whomever you have been seeing over the years for your eye care, and see what they have to say about getting this done. My main reason for getting the first eye done was because bright lights bothered me, and I had to wear a hat when I went on my hundreds of jaunts to the hospital or doctors offices. The overhead lights were just too bright for me, and in some instances I even wore my sunglasses because of the lighting.

Nobody can say everyone will have the same results and/or experiences I've had with my Left Eye Cataract Surgery, but from talking with lots of friends/acquaintances and some of my doctor friends, my post surgery seems to be more the norm than those having problems.

Thought I would throw this out there for anyone that is interested and may have missed my other thread when I had my Left Eye done.

hckynut(john)