Super Contributor

My Neighbors Got Robbed

[ Edited ]

I knew it would happen.    New neighbors moved in.   They constantly leave their blinds open day and night.   They have very expensive electronic equipment that is in plain sight that you can easily see by just walking by their home.    Many of thought they like to show off all their valuables.   

I would say you are less than 20 ft from their living room window when you are looking at their house.   It's a townhome complex  with low walls.

Well, apparently, while they were out, someone or more broke in and took everything that was observed through their open blinds.    They lost a huge screen TV, stereo equipment, expensive vases, their entire music collection, and more.    The police think someone or more drove up in a van, and were able to jimmy open the garage door.    The door to the house inside the garage was open (never a wise thing to leave unlocked).    There was no real forced entry other than the garage door.    

They think they loaded up a van or truck and drove off.   I asked one of the officers if leaving their blinds open when they were home and gone with full view into their home could have been the reason.   The officer said whoever did this could have easily been outside the home numerous times taking inventory.   The irony is they took only items that were in full view.  The back bedrooms weren't even touched.

It's just a word of caution.   Keep your blinds closed when you are gone and don't leave them wide open at night with the lights on when you are even there.   The officer said, lights on in a home at night with the blinds open give off a mirror effect from inside.  He said people inside their home see a reflection of themselves in the open window and wouldn't see someone looking into their home.    I tried that tonight and sure enough, if I open my blinds with a lamp on in  my living room, I can only see me, outside is just dark.   I wouldn't be able to see anyone peeking into my windows from 20 ft away.

The police told our HOA boss to make sure in any future communications with homeowners to stress the importance of closing blinds and not inviting crime into the complex.  

Word to the wise.

Honored Contributor

So all the neighbors have easily observed what was in the house by looking in the windows  because the houses are so close together, but when crooks were breaking in and walking out with all their possessions no one saw any of that.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbors Got Robbed

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

So all the neighbors have easily observed what was in the house by looking in the windows  because the houses are so close together, but when crooks were breaking in and walking out with all their possessions no one saw any of that.

or carrying out large screen tvs, large vases, and a variety of other apparently large items...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

151949: it's possible! True story (Pasco County, FL)

many homes in our area (inc. over 55 communities) in this area were robbed. HOW you ask?

They broke in thru the back of the house then went directly to the garage if there was NO car in the garage, they opened it and they pulled their vehicle in and closed door. They proceeded to rob home (only items of value) and opened garage and pulled car out and left.

Obviously no neighbors thought anything of it (who have been caught) were not in plain sight and no suspicious vehicle, etc. were seen! Oh to have the mind of a criminal ! Here's the article

image.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

We've had a home security system for years.  While nothing is perfect, it goes a long way in keeping your family and property safe. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, at the wee hours of the morning, most of the neighbors are sleeping like in most neighborhoods.

No one is looking in their windows on purpose.   My mailbox is right across from their house.  I can't help but see right into their home.   I'm not standing there staring.

It does happen, because 5 months prior, another neighbor 3 doors down from them had their car stolen from the door that leads into the garage on the outside.   

Sophisticated criminals stake out people's homes.    

These people were foolish and obviously didn't even have an alarm system.    

I wanted to make others aware.     My mistake I guess thinking it would be appreciated instead being treated like a voyeur.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reminder.  No point letting people know what's going on in your home unless you invite them in.

Too bad no one saw the heist, but hey, guess that's what professional thieves do.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

The burglars around here are using children to crawl thru the doggie door and then open the garage or front door for the crooks to gain entry.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My neighbor was attacked by a bear on his front porch,yep,it made the paper!

Respected Contributor

Oh,forgot to add, no crime here,everyone has guns!