Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

@occasionalrain I don't think there is anything wrong or odd sbout what you are doing and anyhow let the neighbors talk if they choose.If they are talking about you then that means you are interesting.i used to talk to my dog all of the time and after awhile she new exactly what I was saying.People were always amazed at how much she understood.I used to get her to sing happy birthday to all friends and family and they loved it....of course she sang it in dog language but it was cute.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

Life is short. If you enjoy reading aloud to these kitties...then make no apologies. You're on your own property and are not breaking the law. 

Don't worry about what the neighbor gossips about you. Most people realize if they gossip about you, they will likely do the same about them....

The part in bold........  wisdom.  I think about that every time I see people gossiping on chat boards lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People are either animal lovers, and understand the feelings we have for animals, or they don't. Your animal-loving neighbors will "get it" and the others won't - and I wouldn't care a jot about the reaction of those that don t.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

If you want to read to the cat read to the cats. No big deal.

My neighbor talks to himself all the time. He has OCD. Once he wanted to put his trash can back up but the trash had not been picked up yet. He kept opening the lid & saying well they have not picked up the trash yet. He also looks in his mailbox several times after getting the mail out. He checks the door locks in his car several times & has to park in the drive straight etc.

Honored Contributor

I don't  read to them because I enjoy it, I do it because they seem to enjoy it. I wonder if to them it's what their purring is to us.

I have friends, family, and a job; I'm not lonely. 

I have no concern about being scratched.

I rather like giving the neighbors something to talk about.

Respected Contributor

I love the fact that you read to cats!

I sing to mine!

However, there are  two things they totally don't understand: singing or the wearing of hats! LOL!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I have never cared what others think of me. I care only what I think of myself. I posted this because I thought her reaction amusing. 

Best post I have ever seen on the Q boards!!!!   10  stars  Smiley Happy

I agree!!!!    I speak to "my" birds that I feed everyday!  They are mine,they know me and they understand what  I say to them   <3   I picture my birds leading my way to heaven when it is my  "time" ..................

I  am NOT  lonely,I have a large family (my son is mayor of our town) I am not crazy,  I am in love with nature and the birds tht visit my feeder  and you know what ???? I know they love me too    Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Female cats do their form of singing when they're in heat to attract males. Perhaps they assume the same about you.

Respected Contributor

Who cares? Unless you read very loudly, it's nobody's business! God wants us to care for all creatures great, and small! If the cats didn't enjoy it they wouldn't stay! I say as long as you and the cats are happy don't worry about what old part poopers think! I have dogs, can you recommend any good books for them?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I don't  read to them because I enjoy it, I do it because they seem to enjoy it. I wonder if to them it's what their purring is to us.

I have friends, family, and a job; I'm not lonely. 

I have no concern about being scratched.

I rather like giving the neighbors something to talk about.

@occasionalrain Only thing about those stray cats is when one has kittens & takes off & leaves them. That's what happened to us. I was feeding a stray female cat that took off & left 2 kittens in the shed next door. They were handed to us over the fence since they were going to take them to the pound. I had to get online to research to see how to feed them. I bought bottles & formula to feed them with. Took them to the vet when they were old enough for their 1st shots. After all that I had to find homes for them. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to all the cat hair. 

My dad has a couple cats & a dog. Last time I visited his house I came home with a really bad sinus infection & had yo go to the minor emergency clinic. I think it was from the cat hair.