Honored Contributor

My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

Tom-Cruise-confused-GIF.gif

As long as they don't talk back guess it's OK

Respected Contributor

Don't know about what neighbors would say.  However, I am concerned about your physical health just in case one or more of the feral cats scratches you:  please make sure that your tetanus shots are up to date.  Then do what you love !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

you can't actually care about this, right?

people should mind their own business ~ and reading aloud is a great thing ~ it's actually somewhat calming.

Honored Contributor

Life is short. If you enjoy reading aloud to these kitties...then make no apologies. You're on your own property and are not breaking the law. 

Don't worry about what the neighbor gossips about you. Most people realize if they gossip about you, they will likely do the same about them....

Respected Contributor

If you enjoy doing that, why would you worry about what others think about it?

I do not like gossipy people.  I avoid them. 

Honored Contributor

Being different and unique is the goal of every human.  Congratulations on reaching it and I sincerely mean that!  Heart  

Never ever care what other people think of you.  Trust me, they have better things they need to be doing and you can tell them I said that.

And if you absolutely feel you need a cover story, then I offer that you are an actress practicing for your breathtaking remake of 1001 Dalmations now being remade with Cats.  Morgan Freeman is even doing the movie trailer voiceover and everything. Smiley Very Happy    

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

283917.gif

I'm stealing borrowing that one.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Everyone thinks someone else is strange and I don't worry about it unless the person might be ill or a danger to him/herself or others.

Sounds like you might be lonely, and that's not strange, that's the most commonplace thing of all.

You might find this story on children reading to shelter animals very interesting: http://www.hsmo.org/education/shelter-buddies-reading.html

Lastly, are those feral cats spayed or neutered? If not, everyone involved would be better off if you took the cats a clinic on a free spay/neuter day instead than reading to them. After that, read to them all you want - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you can't get them spayed/neutered, contact a rescue group who may be able to help. I'm a lot more concerned with that issue than I am about anyone reading to animals.

Honored Contributor

I have never cared what others think of me. I care only what I think of myself. I posted this because I thought her reaction amusing.