Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep

Two things:

1.  Check to see if your phone is the type that has 2 little buttons on the left side up toward the top.  If so, the top button increases sound and the bottom one decreases sound when depressed.

2.  Go into "Settings," then look for "Sounds" or whatever term is used on your phone.  You'll be able to make choices here to turn down the sound that's made when you text. 

Within the confines of a physician's office, I think it's kind to tune down electronics to a low level or no level of sound.  We have many electronic intrusions all the time anyway, this just makes sense.  At home, that beep-beep-beep-beep on the microwave drives me up the wall.  Wish it would make 2 sounds like a cuckoo clock.

Honored Contributor

My daughter was just talking about this the other day saying how annoying it was when people texted with loud clicking on the phone. I was hoping mine wasn't like this and it isn't because I turn the volume down.

I do remember sitting in a dr's office awhile ago and a woman was texting and you could just keep hearing loud clicks-it was irritating and annoying.

I didn't say anything but after reading this i think it is okay for someone to ask. It is annoying.

Maybe the person texting is unaware and in the moment of what they are doing, but everyone else is aware because you can't think of anything else but those loud annoying clicks that seem to go on forever.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It drives me crazy to hear that pecking noise when I type.  Mine is totally shut off. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have to admit repetitive noises like chronic tapping tend to get to me too. I'm always nervous in a doctor's office, even just for a routine visit so I'd most likely be even more sensitive in that setting.

Similarly, the repetitive "musical" sounds elicited when people play games on their gadgets can be quite annoying. I particularly can't tolerate the sound of someone clipping their nails in public, not to mention it's downright disgusting.

Honored Contributor

I have a son with ADHD and any noises like that drive him crazy.  He probably would not have said anything, but he would have moved away.

He can't tune out sounds that most of us don't even notice.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Loud Texting ????

[ Edited ]

...it's kinda like gals popping their gum while they chew it.  

Just....stop. 

Any tap-tap-tap 'yap', is just a 'look at me' move.

It's not rocket science...they know what they're doing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Point taken. Good advice. No one was bent out of shape, I was just shocked. My text was 19 words.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I have keyboard clicks turned off, I personally find it annoying. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Better not to judge. You don't know what this young man may have been facing - he was, after all, at a doctor's office. Perhaps he was facing surgery, deteriorating eyesight, blindness.  Or maybe he was just having a bad day, but regardless, many of us get nervous when seeing a doctor.  __It happens.

I was thinking the same thing.... or the young man may have been seeing the doctor regarding anxiety issues...  even low key tapping in a relatively quiet room can cause someone experiencing anxiety to become nervous because of its repetitiveness.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor
I have my text sound shut off from day one. I can't stand that sound; it's really annoying, even when I'm the one who's texting.

It was nice of the guy to apologize.