Esteemed Contributor

While I was waiting for my eye Dr. appointment this morning, I was texting my son about this upcoming weekend. There was a young man sitting about four chairs over. I use a stylist with a rubber tip because of my nails. Anyway, pretty soon the young man says "could you please turn your volume down"? I looked up, surprised, and said "what volume"? He says on your phone. I'm sure I gave him a look that said "seriously"??? I told him that I was almost done and then to placate him I asked how I turn the volume down. He then apologized for complaining. I said no problem, but my head was thinking "what ??!!" I told my Dr. about it when I went in for my appointment and he said "are you serious?" I think I would have chewed off my right arm before I asked someone to quiet down their keyboard.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Better not to judge. You don't know what this young man may have been facing - he was, after all, at a doctor's office. Perhaps he was facing surgery, deteriorating eyesight, blindness.  Or maybe he was just having a bad day, but regardless, many of us get nervous when seeing a doctor.  __It happens.

Respected Contributor

Sorry, but it would have annoyed me, also.  I have always been "tuned" in to sounds around me.  There is a way to turn down the sounds texting makes when you hit the keys.

Honored Contributor

you can turn the volume down or off on your keyboard so there are no noises.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Sounds like maybe he didn't get his cup of coffee, or missed his 8 hours sleep. Smiley Happy In today's world, I leave other people alone, even if they are annoying me. You just never know when you might say something to make someone really angry. Think it, but don't say it. I agree with you, I would chew my arm off first too. Enjoy your day. Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

While I was waiting for my eye Dr. appointment this morning, I was texting my son about this upcoming weekend. There was a young man sitting about four chairs over. I use a stylist with a rubber tip because of my nails. Anyway, pretty soon the young man says "could you please turn your volume down"? I looked up, surprised, and said "what volume"? He says on your phone. I'm sure I gave him a look that said "seriously"??? I told him that I was almost done and then to placate him I asked how I turn the volume down. He then apologized for complaining. I said no problem, but my head was thinking "what ??!!" I told my Dr. about it when I went in for my appointment and he said "are you serious?" I think I would have chewed off my right arm before I asked someone to quiet down their keyboard.

With all due respect, you were in a doctor's office.  That's where people go when they are not feeling well, may be waiting for test results, etc.  It is the last place anyone should be causing someone else stress.  Obviously there was some type of noise coming from your phone that bothered the young man.  Maybe you didn't hear it, but I guess he did.  Let's be kind in this world and not get so bent out of shape because someone asks us to lower the volume on a phone. 

Respected Contributor

You can turn off the keyboard sounds.   It can be annoying to listen to sometimes 

Honored Contributor

Re: My Loud Texting ????

[ Edited ]

You never know ones "state of mind".

Perhaps you haven't heard about the young father shot point blank range in a movie theatre in 2014 (Wesley Chapel, FL) he was texting his babysitter during the movie previews. this crabby old retired cop shot & killed him because his phone was "loud" when texting "annoyed" him.  It was 1:30 matinee. He asked him to stop - of course, much controversy surrounding what really happened. 

This old man is now trying to use the FL law "stand your ground" because he felt threatened!  😡😡😡😡

I never have my phone on when I enter a public place nor do I carry on conversation on phone others have to listen too- in lines, etc. I'd rather call that person back.

I keep it on silent just as a courtesy.

Esteemed Contributor
@pattypeep,
That constant Tap...tap...tap, .....tap...tap.....
can be just as annoying as someone absentmindedly tapping a pencil or drumming their fingers.

When you go into your device's settings, look for
Sound > Volume > System.
OR
In your notification panel simply select Vibrate or Mute instead of Sound. Vibrate or mute should silence the tapping from your keyboard in addition to keeping your phone from ringing at th Drs office/library/church/etc .
Honored Contributor

My mother uses one of those pens when she plays a certain game on her kindle.  It is really loud, even though it has a soft tip.