Valued Contributor

My Chow Cody is not doing well...need some advice please.

He is 13 yrs 4 1/2 months old. Has really done wonderful all these yrs. In the last couple of months he has really slowed down. Last few weeks he is moving slower & slower. A few days ago I noticed he was having a hard time getting up in the morning. Kind of stiff. He has had surgery on both his rear knees maybe 5 yrs ago. Recouped well everything was fine. Well this morning DH had early app.@ VA clinic. We got everyone up & out but Cody. I could see he was having problems. He was laying in his favorite spot so we went ahead & left. We ended up being gone 3 hours. When we got back he was in same spot. So we had to get him up. He has gotten very fussy lately. Has even tried to bite us. Growls at other dogs when they come near. Well he tried like crazy to bite my DH but DH finally got him up. We got him to go out & pee, get a drink, walk around a little. As soon as we let him back in the house he laid down & 2 hrs later we went thru same thing. His vet retired that has treated him all his life. No one else will treat him because he bites. I had some pills his vet gave him back in the spring when he had some problems moving around they are called Deramaxx. Gave him 1/2 tab which is what vet told me. He can walk when you get him up but cant get up! When you try to help him up he gets upset & trys to attack us! He cant hear & his eye site seems to be getting bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might keep him from getting down & never getting back up again? We know we may have to put him down but I cant bear the thought of that. Also there is no way we could get him to a vet. He would rip us up! He is usually so sweet & just wants to be near me. But we do have to watch 2 other dogs, he has starting to snap & snarl at. I am just at a loss here on what I should do. I want to help him if I can. Just wondered if anyone also knew of something I could give him that might help. (sorry so long!) My heart is just breaking for him!