Respected Contributor

We live in the country and of course we have mice. DH puts traps in the garage. Haven't had one in the house for years. One died in between two walls in the kitchen. It smelled so bad for weeks. Mealtime just wasn't the same. DH said take wall apart or live with it. Aired out a lot and sprayed.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack Hugs (((NickNack)))Heart

I hope he is gone soon!

Go away mouse!

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
Yeahhhh . . I've seen them squeeze down flat and go right under a closed door. Ewww.

Yes they can.  And on the other side of that door is my 13 lb cat, Al.....ha ha!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I had a mouse in my home JUST ONE TIME. It was kind of funny how I knew he was there. One night after sitting down to watch tv with my bowl of popcorn I lay my head back on the headrest of my recliner all relaxed. Then from the corner of my eye...THERE HE WAS just sitting next to my head watching tv! omgSmiley Surprised He did not budge! It was like he was enjoying the movie!Smiley Surprised That did it...spent the rest of my sleepless night trying to get him!Woman Mad

@SilleeMee  Ha!  That reminds me of when I was a teenager in the country.  We always had mice.  I was sitting on the recliner with a TV tray next to it, watching TV.  I heard the TV tray rattle, so I looked over just as the mouse ran up the table leg and onto my left elbow!  Scared?  Never! I chased that critter with a broom until I cornered him in the bathroom.  I shut the door behind me, and it was over in about 5 minutes!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde

I think everyone needs an AL!!!

Woman Wink

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You ladies are plain irrational and silly.  I can't believe you're scared of a tiny mouse.  Why, are you afraid it's going to attack You?  All 2 ounces of It?  Get a grip.

@Kachina624 A little of that goes a long way.

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@2blonde

I think everyone needs an AL!!!

Woman Wink

@MacDUFF  You are so right!  Everyone says females are the mousers.  Well my last girl was scared to death of them.  The girl I had before her would invite them to share her food with her (no kidding).  Al is my first "guy" in about 45 years, and when he knows there's a mouse he will sit and wait in front of the utility room door for hours until it comes out!

Laura loves cats!
Contributor

Here is a good solution that has worked for me.  Mice hate mint and other herbal scents such as rosemary.  Soak about a dozen cotton balls in peppermint, spearmint or wintergreen oil.  Place them under sinks, in closets, near doors and anywhere you see openings from the outside.  When the scent starts to dissapate, which will be a while, replace the soaked cotton balls with new ones and continue doing this.  My home was in the Catskill Mountains and very remote with subfreezing temps.  But this definitely did the trick.  You can google it and see this is a tried and true remedy.  

Good luck !

Lilly Stella

Respected Contributor

@LillyStella  Yes, I've heard you can also use Pine Sol for this.  I couldn't find it in my local grocery store, though.

Laura loves cats!
Contributor

He Blonde, the better choice are the actual essential oils, since they are natural and actually make the house smell nice.  Most supermarkets sell peppermint essential oil, but drug stores and health food stores are your best bet.  I actually ordered it from Amazon and the vitamin shoppe, better prices and large selection.  

Good luck, it really works and at the same time gives the home a delightful fresh scent.