Esteemed Contributor

We live in the country and it's not a case of 'if' but 'when' you will see a mouse.  Our Exterminator comes quarterly and he is my "bestie."  I don't want to see anything with four or more legs in our house. He's sprayed for the fall and filled the boxes.  he should be back in January to fill the boxes again until spring.  That's when we get sprayed again and an organic substance put on the lawn for the ticks. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

Mice may be cute in cartoons but not so cute in the house.  The best way I have found is last year I purchased what I call the electrocution chamber.  I don't like traps because sometimes only their legs are caught and they actually scream.  Don't like poison because I have a dog and great grandchild living with me.  It's a small box like chamber, maybe 6" long, l" high or so.  Works on batteries.  You put some peanut butter inside and close the lid.  Mouse crawls inside and is instantly zapped.  There is an indicator light on the top and when a mouse gets in there it blinks red.

We caught the mouse this way in a matter of days.  I got my granddaughter to open and empty the box.  I have it out in the laundry room now and so far only caught a poor little cricket who decided to venture in.  I bought this at Home Depot for around $20.00.

Honored Contributor

Make sure all screens are repaired, all foundation openings caulked and anywhere else they might get in. Use peanut butter on the traps and put them where the walls and floor meet. They tend to travel along the sides of a room.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Mice/m-p/3205911#U3205911

The other recent thread with lots of responses.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Make sure all screens are repaired, all foundation openings caulked and anywhere else they might get in. Use peanut butter on the traps and put them where the walls and floor meet. They tend to travel along the sides of a room.

Also let me add trim back all trees that hang over the house or limbs that touch the house. They crawl tp the tree , jump on the roof and find ways to get into your attic.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your pain! Brrr yuk!

We had field mice 2 years ago for the first time since this house was built! AND we had/have CATS. (but they were older cats who could care less about mice!).

Hired an exterminator who put poison bait boxes (hidden) and glue traps.

Fast forward never had mice after that, then weeks ago the exterminator said bait was taken again. (ugh!)

But now we have a KITTEN, so I was worried the kitten would eat a mouse that was poisoned, SO we removed the poison bait and DH set mouse traps.

Wellwe haven't seen OR caught a mouse yet (fingers crossed, and I hope we don't see any or catch any or have any as it has gotten very cold here and that is when field mice come in!)

For those who laugh, uhm mice carry diseases, can damage your home, get in your food. Need I go on?

Good Luck to you! I think your dog will be fine, because they hide the bait from pets, and I doubt your dog would eat a mouse if he sees one but ask the vet and exterminator to be safe!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You ladies are plain irrational and silly.  I can't believe you're scared of a tiny mouse.  Why, are you afraid it's going to attack You?  All 2 ounces of It?  Get a grip.

@Kachina624

Yes I'm afraid it's going to attack me!  I'm afraid it's going to try to bed down in my hair!!  I'm afraid it's going to nibble my toes!!  I'm afraid it's going to poop in my cupboards!!  I'm afraid I'll trip over it in the night...when I get up to go to the bathroom...where it's dark and I can't see what may be lurking in the toilet bowl!!!  I'm irrational, silly, and heartless!   There ain't no "getting a grip" when it comes to mice!!!  Getting a hotel room, that's what I'd be getting!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@NickNack

You'll probably have a hard time sleeping tonight!!??!!!  There's a mouse in your house [[[SHUDDER]]]!!!!   I would be calling the nearest hotel and booking a room for a few nights!  Do you have any traps and cheese anywhere?  Do you think your dog will bark if he/she sees the mouse...in your bedroom...in the dark...ACK ACK ACK!  I know this is not helpful, but I hate mice.  I had one in the house once when Handsome was out-of-town...Murphy's Law if I ever heard it...it was actually half-dead in a trap and struggling to get free.  I was yelling, "die, die already!"  I'm heartless!  Neighbor came and saved the day.

Get a hotel room!  

@MacDUFF  My dog almost never barks, so I've been wondering what she'd do if she saw it in the middle of the night.  I know she would chase it.  I'm calling first thing in the morning.  I don't have any traps or anything, because I never see them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Also let me add trim back all trees that hang over the house or limbs that touch the house. They crawl tp the tree , jump on the roof and find ways to get into your attic.

Also if anyone has central air, make sure the pipe which houses the electrical wires is sealed with expandable foam. That is how I got 3 mice in my attic and in early November I heard scritching noises in the ceiling where the ceiling met the wall in our living room. One warm winter day in I bought the foam and sealed the opening. We did catch all 3 mice with mousetraps and peanut butter.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

EEEKKK!  I haven't seen one this fall (& hope I don't) still...

Today I asked DH if he had his poison stash ready.  He uses two different poisons.  He's fully stocked!  he loads some baiters in the crawl space, behind the dryer & in the garage.

I hate those disease spreading vermin.