Respected Contributor

Re: More Storms Lined Up In California

@september wrote:

@cody2.  Some of the airport hotels have very nice reastarants, so while it might seem that you're being overly cautious by going up the night before... You might feel less stress and have a nice evening by doing so. 

That was my thought september. We are so on edge down here that I feel getting up there tomorrow, we will have all day if we run into trouble. Then 2 miles to the airport in the morning will be a breeze. It is my understanding that weather was affecting all three major airports today but mostly flights going or coming from down south. He is flying East so I hope all goes well. Hope things aren't too bad where you are. The water is rising again. Just hoping the wind doesn't. Last night and today were unbelievable. Was glad we had the old ipad to be able to see what was going on. The battery radio wasn't much help at all. Still feeling luckier then a lot of folks in this storm. Let's pray that it passes soon.
Respected Contributor

The last big news was a water shortage.  My daughter was visiting, and her hotel didn't want to change the beds to wash the linens.  Water restrictions everywhere.

Here in the Chicago area, it was close to 70 degrees today.  A wild weather pattern.

Hope those in California can stay safe.  I love California.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Heavy rain today and wind at 54 mph.

We are seeing the video of that huge sinkhole in southern CA. Two cars fell in with room to spare.  Luckily, no one was hurt, everyone got out.  

Also seeing the Glendale parking lot with waterfalls spilling out, I've never seen anything like that 😧

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 The sinkhole was caused by an old storm/sewer pipe breaking and undermining the surrounding soil and the asphalt.  Not really surprising for the Studio City area.  The parking lot at the mall has been this way boefore it's just that years ago before the drought, the media didn't report on it.

The flooding on the I-5 has also happened before - the pump/s weren't working. 

What is probably different is that the burn areas in various places have heavy mud flows that overtake the roads.  People STILL drive into water that stalls their cars and they need get out of the car and water.  Some folks never learn. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Tansy, I saw some amazing photography of lightening-it looks like it was the dessert-taken by a storm chasers. The photographer explained the weather conditions that made it happen-magnificent and scary-headed your way!

I saw the pictures in The Washington Post, but I'm sure The Weather Channel has them.

Stay safe my friend!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Noel, I saw some coverage on the news last night- the land slide possibilities are frightening.

I know you are in the north, but with all the high winds and snow, what has getting out been like to do things like grocery shopping and doctors appointments?

I have also been hearing about widespread power outages....take care.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Noel, I saw some coverage on the news last night- the land slide possibilities are frightening.

I know you are in the north, but with all the high winds and snow, what has getting out been like to do things like grocery shopping and doctors appointments?

I have also been hearing about widespread power outages....take care.

Poodlepet2

Hi @Poodlepet2  Smiley Happy

I'm glad you asked!  It's been awful, even the news is reporting that people are going stir crazy staying inside, especially those who like to get out and run or ride their bikes.

The roads are dangerous and full of potholes and it's easy to slip and fall.  My daughter fell yesterday, out and about during the rain, it's scarier for the elderly.

We get to the store only when it isn't raining and stock up for a week, I make menus and a list for a week at a time.

What I really need is a hair appt!

Hope all is well with you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I saw that sinkhole on the news this morning. Crazy that CA went from such a long term drought to this. In one season. 

We were in extreme drought where I live since last summer, that's been taken care of due to snow. Thankfully we are getting a week thaw and break. Maybe even until the end of the month. I hope CA will get a break soon.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

No power at our house since 6 a.m. yesterday and no real estimate when power may be restored. Best guess is 3-5 days! I was able to get the last room at a motel in a city that has power. I haven't eaten since 7:30 pm last night. Going out soon. At least I have wifi, heat, lights, TV and I can take a shower.

Went out yesterday and very, very nearly was not able to get back home. Either trees were down or live wires were down. We live in the hardest hit area. 

People who have lived here all their lives haven't seen it like this, ever. All the food in 2 huge freezers - gone.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Bay Area prediction visual for the coming week:

weather