Bill Gates

Jeff Bezos

Warren Buffett

James Patterson

Martha Stewart

Opera

Honored Contributor

Re: Millionaires/Billionaires

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. They give back. You can't take it with you, do some good with it and they are. Saw a show maybe HBO on Warren Buffet. He just was interested in numbers not getting bo quo bucks. Maybe it was NetFlix. It's interesting to read about Millionaires, they live below their means even. Some ...not all.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. They give back. You can't take it with you, do some good with it and they are. Saw a show maybe HBO on Warren Buffet. He just was interested in numbers not getting bo quo bucks. Maybe it was NetFlix. It's interesting to read about Millionaires, they live below their means even. Some ...not all.

I'm with you.  I don't admire anyone just because they have money.  I admire people for what they do with their money and time.  Do they help others?  What charities do they help?  Do they have foundations that have a proven track record of helping the vulnerable in our society (and not themselves)?   Do they influence politics in a positive way and for the benefit of others and not just themselves or their corporation?  Do they talk nicely about others?   Do they respect others?  Do they care about those who can't care for themselves?  

Respected Contributor

I worked for two millionaires and you would have never known they had money. They both lived simple ordinary lives in the cars they drove, homes they lived in and the way they dressed. However, when a need arose or they wanted to show their appreciation, they were very generous with their money. I will always remember them for that.

Honored Contributor

I respect 'rich people' who give back. I really believe we all have a duty to give to our society and our communities, regardless of our income status, and not just our money but our time.

I don't really 'admire' people based on money, I am grateful when I run across people from all economic levels who give back, regardless of how they do that (financially or through actions)

And when you think about it, those with the least who give, are truly much more admirable, as it is so much more of a sacrifice than those with so much.

Honored Contributor

Bill and Melinda Gates  

Warren Buffett-the creation of the Giving Pledge with Bill Gates, I think the impact can't even be quantified. Amazing work.

the late Sam Simon of Simpsons fame

Bono 

Jimmy Carter, if he's even a millionaire...I have no idea.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I'm pleased that so many celebrity wealthy give so generously;  their kind of money can make huge differences in the lives of many while they and their own families can still live extremely well -- and there is no reason they shouldn't.

I also like that the huge contributions make headlines because among those that have so much there are many competitive spirits.  If a donation makes a headline and inspires someone else with big money to get into the giving game, how great is that?!!!

The wealthy I personally admire most are closer to me -  they are the wealthy I know who give.  No, they are not giving hundreds of hundreds of millions - they don't have that, but I do know people who have had enough to give hundreds of thousands to causes in which they believe, to colleges and universities that educate others, and still have money left at death to leave more to philantrophies and family.

These "local" wealthy won't make national headlines for the most part, but they always make a difference and they inspire me. 

Honored Contributor

I just wish more of them would band together and find a cure for cancer instead of these less important causes.

(I"m sure somebody will say giving a kid a computer is as important as finding a cure for cancer which affects everybody from birth on up. )

Honored Contributor

I'm more impressed with people of limited means, who are generous. It's easy to give when you have a lot

I think it's nice of them to give, but it doesn't impress me much

Super Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I just wish more of them would band together and find a cure for cancer instead of these less important causes.

(I"m sure somebody will say giving a kid a computer is as important as finding a cure for cancer which affects everybody from birth on up. )

@SharkE

"Don’t Put All Your Eggs in One Bas­ket"