Regular Contributor

Mid-West States Fall Break for Students?

HI. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I was wondering if anyone out there lives in the mid-west and has school age children and would know when the fall break will happen this year (2016)? I believe it's usually in October. I am trying to plan a  trip and would like to know what the dates will be. Perhaps someone has a school calendar they can just check? If anyone has info it would greatly appreciated!  Thank you :-) Pepper

Honored Contributor

Re: Mid-West States Fall Break for Students?

You should be able to go to the local school districts website and look at the calendar. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

As there are multiple states within the Midwest, and literally scores of school districts within each of those states (each with its own calendar), it is impossible to answer such a general question.

Your best bet is to check sthe appropriate school district's website (most have calendars) or call the school.  As it is only February, though,the calendar may not yet be finalized in that area.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i am in the mid-atlantic area so that doesnt help you, but i do know that our county public schools dont have a "fall break" at all. they have a thanksgiving break.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Other than the day after Thanksgiving and Jewish holidays, I've never heard of a fall break for elementary or high school students.

Upcoming school year's calendar are published in the spring for the districts around here.  I doubt the new calendar has even been passed by the BOE

Honored Contributor

Schools in New York and surrounding states have mid-Winter break this week.  Then they have Spring Break but I don't know when that will be.

Esteemed Contributor

What is a Fall Break?  Most schools resume in late summer -early fall.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's so strange! Last October we were in Disney and wondered why it was so crowded and we asked someone and they said, "Mid-West states all have a fall break." That person was from Indiana. From that point, I promised myself that I would look into it and not make the same mistake again by going during that week. Maybe they just made it up? I'm starting to think I've been had. Hmmm...

Respected Contributor

I am a teacher in a school system in Georgia.  We are on a "balanced calendar."  We start school on the first Monday in August.  We have a one week fall break in September, a one week break in November (Thanksgiving), a two week break in December (winter break), a one week break in February, next week for us (mid-winter break), a one week break in April (Spring Break) and we get out of school right before Memorial Day...only to go back the first week in August, again.  We've been doing this for well over a decade.  The only change was that two years ago, our fall break was in October.  It is now back in September.

The school system in the next county (literally down the street), doesn't follow the same calendar.  So,  I agree with the poster who says to check your school system's calendar for next school year.

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful vacation!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The schools probably know.....lol