Honored Contributor

As a former swimmer I've been glued to the TV recently! I've followed the swimming careers of both of these extraordinary young guys for a long time. Now Michael Phelps is 31 and a dad, and Ryan Lochte is 32.

So tomorrow is the finals of the men's 200m individual medley. This is the only event Ryan qualified for (besides the gold medal winning men's relay team). Ryan has almost always finished second to Michael, sometimes by less than a second. Today during the day, one commentator said something we all know - if it hadn't been for Michael we would be talking about Ryan as the best swimmer in the world.  

Michael has 21 gold medals (I think) now and 3 more events. This is Ryan's last chance, and I don't think he'll be participating in the Tokyo Olympics at the age of 36. You can tell he is getting more tired than he used to. 

So tomorrow night (Thursday) will be riveting. I will be rooting for Ryan to go over the top and win this. He can do this. I always root for Michael - he is the best, but I think it will be OK - for me at least - if he wins silver instead of gold this time. 

These guys are friendly competitors. They have trained together and competed for a long time. Each says the other pushes him to do his best. 

Tomorrow night - GO RYAN! After that it will be back to cheering Michael on!

What do you all think? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom I don't have a strong opinion either way but I'd be surprised if Michael won all his remaining events - he has to be getting pretty exhausted with few breaks/downtime.

I just watched the two of them talking about their 1-2 finish tonight, and you can tell they're genuine buds, which is so cool. They genuinely wish each other well. I love that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I had no idea Ryan is a year older than Michael.

I enjoy watching them.  They are great compeitors and friends out of the pool. 

It sure will be interesting...

Honored Contributor

I think Ryan is HOT - is that a good enough reason to root for him?

I like a good rivalry - it makes the event more fun to watch.

Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of MP (and I know that I'm a part of a very small minority) so, naturally, I'll root for Ryan.  However, I understand both have worked very hard over the years and either one deserves it. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor
I think Ryan is gorgeous so I will root for him!!
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think Ryan is HOT - is that a good enough reason to root for him?

I like a good rivalry - it makes the event more fun to watch.

Cat Happy

Of course it is! LOL! One of DS' college friends (female) met him in an airport. They were both waiting for flights. She had no idea who he was, but of course she's 20 - she kept staring at him. He came over (because she WAS staring) and introduced himself! She said he was really nice and they took a selfie together! 

DD just about passed out when DS casually mentioned that!

Those blue eyes and dimples - the grey hair can't even hide them! Of course Michael has grown into his look too, from the gangly young man he was about 12 years ago!

Two party boys - both went crazy in Vegas after the last Olympics - have now seemed to settle down! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom - I will be watching!  I didn't learn that Lochte was a year older than Phelps until I heard it on the news.....pretty impressive that they're both in such good shape.  My son is a HS swimmer.  A former teammate qualified for the olympics but didn't make it...off by a second...which was really bad.....I think he was in the 100 m free....it all comes down to milliseconds....that's what I tell my son...you gotta push it til you can't go any farther...you know that I'm sure!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

mmmmmm Ryan is very easy on the eyes! Smiley Wink

I like both me but I do always root for Ryan since I think he always tends to be in MP's shadow. And he is hot. Yep, I said it- I root for him a bit more because he is hot. And I don't feel at all shallow for saying so, lol.

The swimming has been exciting to watch, as usual. LOVED that MP beat Cleos since he has been such a jerk with all his smack talk.

Esteemed Contributor
Michael did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22!