Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We too now have mice.  I thought the problem was contained outside and I think it is again but over the summer, I found droppings in my basement and I had a blanket and mattress pad cover that were all chewed up and soiled.  DH set a trap and the first day they were set, he caught a mouse.  We've not had one since.

However, I am another who feeds the birds and DH noticed all kinds of bird seed all over our garage and said that is mice getting into the seed.  I have also noticed an odor in our garage and I think it's mouse urine. 

An upcoming project is going to be for us to totally empty our garage and pour bleach everywhere.  Then we will have to set some traps.     

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We too now have mice.  I thought the problem was contained outside and I think it is again but over the summer, I found droppings in my basement and I had a blanket and mattress pad cover that were all chewed up and soiled.  DH set a trap and the first day they were set, he caught a mouse.  We've not had one since.

However, I am another who feeds the birds and DH noticed all kinds of bird seed all over our garage and said that is mice getting into the seed.  I have also noticed an odor in our garage and I think it's mouse urine. 

An upcoming project is going to be for us to totally empty our garage and pour bleach everywhere.  Then we will have to set some traps.     

Store the seed in a garbage can with a lid

It is in a big container with a lid.  I'm not kidding you I have no idea how this happens.  I come into the garage, the lid is on the container but there is seed up against the walls that they are getting.  I want to install a camera and see what is going on.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

I've lived in the boonies my entire life and have always dealt with unwanted creatures in and around my home.   We do whatever it takes to get rid of them, as we have no tolerance whatsoever.  We always have glue traps, quick kill trips, and bait out---ALWAYS.   If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to live here, as we would be totally overrun with mice and rats.  

Inside every outbuilding and under every woodpile, there is quick kill bait, which disappears rapidly due to the many mice and rats.   We rarely ever see dead mice and rats lying anywhere outside on this property, as they die on the spot, or in their tunnels.

I have never known a cat or dog to eat a poisoned mouse or rat, as they seem to know to leave it alone.   Scavengers like opossums and skunks will eat other dead animals.

Regardless of how hard you try, you cannot seal your house tight enough to keep mice out.   All you can do is to always be prepared for them with traps and bait, so you get rid of them quickly before they nest and raise their young ones inside.

Honored Contributor

We have mice occasionally too.  We have two small ponds, and live on a former golf course at the bottom of a mountain.

I think the black snakes and hawks take care of them.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Shorty2U

"What more can I do"?

Never have had a problem with mice in our 2 townhomes or 2 houses. Wonder if it because we have always been a large feline family. We too feed birds and many outdoor critters. The only type of mouse I have ever seen in our home are the deceased.

Go to a shelter and give some felines a 2nd chance at life.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

ITA.  With 5 indoor cats, I best NOT see a mouse in the house!  The day I do I'll know the cats are eating way too well.  Just BTW, I'm not afraid of mice, have picked up and moved many to the outdoors when working in animal shelters.

@Shorty2U

Your spouse could use hanging feeders for feeding the birdies.  The only rodents I've seen on ours are squirrels.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Whatever method you choose, please don't use glue traps.

They are incredibly cruel and cause a lot of unecessary suffering.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

In addition to a glue trap being cruel (just the picture of the stuck mouse on the cover of the package is horrible!)  can't the mouse try to bite you when you get rid of it, unless you use a shovel or trowel  of some kind? And wouldn't they scream while they are on the glue trap?  I just can't imagine doing this, from the cartoon picture on the package.

I actually considered it today at the store, because my spring traps ("guillotines" as I think of them) don't seem to be working this time.  They aren't springing down to get the mouse. Meanwhile, the mouse/mice are having peanut butter meals.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies and I read all of your suggestions. Maybe I should get pine sol and put it all around too.

Anyway the vet said NO bait with cats. So now we had to lift bait and put mouse traps we bought (those wooden ones). SO why am I paying an exterminator?

As far as cats, my husband rescued many a cat and when I met him he had NINE cats and there were NO mice.

Since then all those cats died, but we DO have 3 cats (for those that didnt see that) and 2 are old and dont go after mice. BUT the kitten we got (after the mice were gone the first time years ago, and before they now came back) I am sure he would kill mice because he walks around with his mouse toys and doesnt let anyone take them or he growls.

I should go adopt 3 more kittens and let them go in the basemennt. Then I guess we wouldnt have mice because like I said when we had all those cats NO mice then! Our older cats could care less about mice but kittens would probably get them.

And PS My husband and I got in a big argument which we NEVER do. Because he said he doesnt obsess over mice and if it was up to him we wouldnt have had the exterminator at all. Well I had to get one b.c the cats (before we got the kitten) did NOT get the mice! They just looked at them when we had them when we had mice 2 years ago.

Well I am done talking about this now. I am sick al day and couldnt eat dinner. But I appreciate all of your input. ANd I hope those who also have mice issues have good luck keeping them at bay!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

My mouse phobia is off the rails. Just for peace of mind I sprinkle moth balls around our foundation. I'm not afraid of snakes or spiders but I'd sell my house if a mouse got inside.

Frequent Contributor

We have cats, but they are only inside pets.  One of the cats is a very good mouser. Occasionally as the weather gets colder, a couple of mice will come in through the attached garage.

Let me say this, I can't stand any kind or rodent. Fortunately DH's 1 cat is a great mouser. She snaps it up and takes it up and drops it on the carpet by his bed.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Honored Contributor

@Nicknack, here is a very recent thread where mice were discussed.

If I were you be sure to remove the food source they are after, try to see where they are getting in and plug it up wherever it is, and set traps - the kind that snap shut and kill them.   You'll get rid of them that way - no need to call an exterminator and worry about what they'll do.   I've lived in my old home with many cracks for 30 yrs. and occasionally get mice.  This is what I do and it always works...til the next time maybe two or three years later.  My neighbors say we live in a "high mouse area" and we all have older homes with cracks and crevices.