Esteemed Contributor

HSN has some ultra-sonic pest eliminators.  We use them in the barn and they seem to work.

http://www.hsn.com/shop/bell-howell-pest-control/ho0452-10455

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

LOL both !

@SharkE   LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

If the bait is toxic enough to the mouse it can kill your cat, too.  At best, if your cat eats a mouse that ate the bait, you will have a very very sick cat and extremely high vet bills (that is…IF you can get the cat to the vet before it dies).  Please use caution with all poisons when children & pets are a factor.  Exterminators often down play the danger to pets & children because they want you to use their service, but poison is poison…it kills!  If you keep bird seed in the garage, compromise on how it is stored.  Get a small METAL garbage can with METAL lid and keep all stored seed securely in that can with the lid firmly in place.  Rodents can eat through plastic tubs and nearly every other substance used for storage, but 100% metal will stop them.  As for the outside, the truth is, if you have a field in back you will always have field mice (and snakes, too)…many more than if that field was not there.  So, feeding the birds is not really what is causing their presence – they are there because of the environment surrounding your home.  Mice & bugs do tend to try to find a warm place to live when the weather turns cold…it happens everywhere. 

I agree with you, we also now live right buy farmers fields and I know for a fact that rats and mice are all over out here. My husband has seen the neighbors cat with a rat and he's seen them by the dumpster. I honestly don't think feeding the birds is going to change it when already live next to open fields. If you live in a highly populated city, sure. But not out here in the boonies. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@Shorty2U

Yes @HannahsGram!  Find out what the exterminator is using but do NOT take their advice…they are selling that product and want to make the sale – they profit from you using it and likely will downplay the dangers.  Check with your vet for an honest independent opinion on the danger it presents for your cats…do NOT rely on the exterminator to have your pets’ best interest in mind. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

If a baited mouse can kill  birds of prey, it can klll a cat.

I would just use traps. Not the glue ones.

Honored Contributor

We too now have mice.  I thought the problem was contained outside and I think it is again but over the summer, I found droppings in my basement and I had a blanket and mattress pad cover that were all chewed up and soiled.  DH set a trap and the first day they were set, he caught a mouse.  We've not had one since.

However, I am another who feeds the birds and DH noticed all kinds of bird seed all over our garage and said that is mice getting into the seed.  I have also noticed an odor in our garage and I think it's mouse urine. 

An upcoming project is going to be for us to totally empty our garage and pour bleach everywhere.  Then we will have to set some traps.     

Respected Contributor

I have been through this in the past and is certainly is very frustrating to deal with.

I hope things get sorted out for you soon.

I am shocked that my room mate doesn't have them but when I looked around I said even the mice decided to stay away from this mess and stay out in the cold. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We too now have mice.  I thought the problem was contained outside and I think it is again but over the summer, I found droppings in my basement and I had a blanket and mattress pad cover that were all chewed up and soiled.  DH set a trap and the first day they were set, he caught a mouse.  We've not had one since.

However, I am another who feeds the birds and DH noticed all kinds of bird seed all over our garage and said that is mice getting into the seed.  I have also noticed an odor in our garage and I think it's mouse urine. 

An upcoming project is going to be for us to totally empty our garage and pour bleach everywhere.  Then we will have to set some traps.     

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Store the seed in a garbage can with a lid

Honored Contributor

I've had serious issues with mice. The record of mice caught in one night in 3 hours is 12. Yep, twelve. 

I live in a townhouse with woods and a stream. ALL my neighbors have dogs and/or cats... I have neither. Mice come in for one reason:

*safety with food and shelter

If they don't find food IN your house, they're finding shelter and safety. They're smart, very smart. They know if a cat is a danger or not; same with dogs. 

Mice don't bother me as in, I don't freak when I see them. But... when they scurry along, they are also peeing. They poop in specific areas away from their food source. They make nests. Take a blue light and go along your floors, your furniture, your stairs, your bathroom sink.....you may be disgusted and physically ill when you see the urine trails/stains.

The ONLY thing that has worked for me are traps. I don't know HOW they get in but they do (I've told they can enter via another townhouse and then travel along the pipes, travel through walls..... I don't want to know) and if I see ONE tiny piece of poop, out come the traps.

They seem to love Nutella, btw.

Poison? No. Not only for the reason that it could kill your cats but because the stench of one (or more) dieing in the walls is...awful. Good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies and advice. Exterminator called back and is down playing the bait, said the kitten doesnt go in the basement. True but what if a mouse comes upstairs looking for water and my kitten gets it. So now I called our vet and left a message to ask.

I know this sounds dramatic, but I am literally sick that I threw up. And am worried about my kitten. (The other cats wont get any mice, they just sleep and eat).

As far as food sources we lift the cat food at night and seal it. We lift it when we go away or when theyre done eating. And the bird seed is in a metal can in the garage and the exterminator said the bait was taken in the basement only so theyre getting in down there and I dont know where. The basement is finshed, wed have to tear out paneling and carpet to find where. (outside is all siding and exterminator thought 2 yrs ago they came in through that hole where we now have rocks filled in). BUT I stilll say he should not throw seed outside!

Lastly I tried the electronic things and no kill traps when I had a mouse in my apartment in the city and it didnt work. Exterminator my landlord paid for at the time got rid of the mouse. I think the best bet is those metal and wood traps (safe for the cats) but then DH will have to throw the dead mousse out. But oh well, I dont want my kitten hurt AND I dont want mice.

I will post again later after I hear from the vet. Just typing this is getting me nauseated. I hate mice!

Thank you again, I appreciate it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles