Trusted Contributor

If the bait is toxic enough to the mouse it can kill your cat, too.  At best, if your cat eats a mouse that ate the bait, you will have a very very sick cat and extremely high vet bills (that is…IF you can get the cat to the vet before it dies).  Please use caution with all poisons when children & pets are a factor.  Exterminators often down play the danger to pets & children because they want you to use their service, but poison is poison…it kills!  If you keep bird seed in the garage, compromise on how it is stored.  Get a small METAL garbage can with METAL lid and keep all stored seed securely in that can with the lid firmly in place.  Rodents can eat through plastic tubs and nearly every other substance used for storage, but 100% metal will stop them.  As for the outside, the truth is, if you have a field in back you will always have field mice (and snakes, too)…many more than if that field was not there.  So, feeding the birds is not really what is causing their presence – they are there because of the environment surrounding your home.  Mice & bugs do tend to try to find a warm place to live when the weather turns cold…it happens everywhere. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Part of my neighborhood - fortunately not may part - had a rat problem last spring.  The city sent us all letters instructing us not to put out bird seed or any other type of feed that could attract rats to the neighborhood.   Also told us to be careful about how we wrap up and put out our garbage, etc.   I was really glad this didn't occur in my part of the neighborhood, but bird seed, etc. will definitely attract rodents so your hubby needs to give that up and let the birds fend for themselves.

As for mice, I can hear one in my kitchen now.  Ugh ugh ugh.   I usually get them every few years or so in January when it gets really, really cold out and they come in. I live in a very old home with a lot of cracks where they can get in.   I've heard one - or probably more than one as they say - in the kitchen for several weeks now and although the peanut butter goes missing from the traps I've set, I haven't been able to kill it (or them). Ugh ugh ugh.  It skeeves me out.  I've got to set more of them.  (I know it's a mouse - I've seen it!)

Super Contributor

I would find out what the exterminator is using, and then contact your vet's office and talk to them about whether your kitten would get sick.  They may have some insight or advice regarding the situation.

Honored Contributor

I am ducking  to avoid objects wizzing past my head, but if it were me ,I would stick with the exterminator, and not insist that your hubby forgoes feeding the birds. My husband loves to feed the birds and squirrels too

I am so happy he is still alive, and able to do things like this, I would put up with the exterminators if they are able to handle the rodent population.

Valued Contributor

Me too ... it seems to happen whenever the weather starts to turn cold.  Mice can make themselves very flat to fit in the smallest nook and cranny.

I have bait stations in the kitchen and a couple of those ultrasonic noise things that is supposed to repel pests but unnoticable to humans/pets.

I also adopted the peppermint-soaked cotton ball  cure in the pantry since I'd rather not use chemicals where I store my food.

Trusted Contributor

Used to live in the country, and stored an RV. I do not use poison, but you have to get rid of their food source.

All sorts of remedies out there-peppermint oil, moth balls, dryer sheets, etc. Guess what I use? A bunch of lifelike rubber snakes, a lifelike stone cat and those plug in things that make some kind of vibrations. Move the snakes and cat around every time you walk by, so the critters know they're moving. My DIL almost had a stroke when she opened my garage and saw the snakes!

Give it a try!

Honored Contributor

My gripe is flys ! They're trying to get in, too. Hubbo, goes in and out the doors 100 times a day when he's home and brings them in then I spend half the day with a swatter.   Never ends.

Respected Contributor

Must admit that I quit ground feeding of the birds a couple years ago when I saw a RAT in the feeder. ICKY ICK.

Haven't seen one since. Hope not to.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

My gripe is flys ! They're trying to get in, too. Hubbo, goes in and out the doors 100 times a day when he's home and brings them in then I spend half the day with a swatter.   Never ends.

@SharkE  For your hubby or the flies?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

LOL both !