Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Ughhhh I could scream. After over 2 years  of not having field mice, the exterminator was here says mice took bait in basement. (but not upstairs). So mice got in again. We have a hole in yard out back and my husband puts big rocks in it regularly. BUT my husband continues to throw bird seed and peanuts out for the birds. And I told him he cannot be doing that. Plus we have a field behind us that a farmer plants on.

My husband and I rarely arguie but now Im mad. I know he loves birds but he needs to stop with the bird seed! And the exterminator agrees about the bird seed but says oh mice come in when the weather cools.

Well we never had mice till 2 years ago, and havent had them since till now as they took the bait.

I am a clean freak what can I say? And I have a mice phobia. And PS we have 3 cats, 2 old ones that are of no help for mice, but we have a 9 month kitten. So now Im concerned what if a mouse takes bait and our kitten eats a mouse that took bait? Well the exterminator said the kitten probably wont get sick but I will worry.

Lastly I had the exterminator come every other month since there were no mice, well now I am having him come monthly again after this!

What more can I do?

Honestly? Not much! If the scent of your cats doesn't chase them, not much else will! I'd look online. I think there are natural things to sprinkle around perimeter of your house that helps. Professional help is best idea for you (and me) since the "dirty" side to them is the real problem!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I would not use poison bait with cats in the house. It's not worth the risk. It's not the exterminator guys cat that is going to get sick or die. My cats safety is more important than killing mice. 

I agree Jaxs Mom. Im really upset. They dont spray poison due to the cats. They use bait traps that mice go in, eat bait and go outside for water, but yes if my kitten eats a mouse that took bait and something would happpen I couldnt live with myself. 

I just called and left a message to inquire about this at the exterminators office to double check this. I got myself all worked up about the whole thing. I dont want mice but I dont want anything to happen to my kitten. The exterminator didnt seem to think it would happen. (And he has cats) but I would rather be safe than sorry!

Call your Vet to be sure! It will make you feel better!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

Hi @Shorty2U,

I've mentioned this before in another thread about mice, regarding a humane trap that D-Con sells, if you would be interested in trying something like that.

You can find these kinds of traps at a home improvement store that sells all different kinds of traps.

We bought these small humane traps that D-Con makes.

We caught a mouse that had been coming to visit our place, using a humane trap.

It had been coming in through the pipes in the kitchen wall, and was hanging out around our kitchen trash can, and underneath the kitchen sink cabinet. 

The way that the humane trap works is that the mouse goes into the trap, and once it goes into the trap far enough, a spring mechanism traps the mouse inside of the trap, shutting the little door closed on it. 

The mouse is then enclosed in the trap.

You can then take the trap out somewhere and set the mouse free again. 

There is a place in the trap where you can put some peanut butter in the trap, so that the mouse will go into the trap in order to eat the peanut butter. 

It did take a few tries before the mouse got trapped.

He/she did get the peanut butter a few times, but then the last time that he/she went to nibble at it, that set the trap off, and the mouse was caught. 

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

Hi @Shorty2U,

I've mentioned this before in another thread about mice, regarding a humane trap that D-Con sells, if you would be interested in trying something like that.

You can find these kinds of traps at a home improvement store that sells all different kinds of traps.

We bought these small humane traps that D-Con makes.

We caught a mouse that had been coming to visit our place, using a humane trap.

It had been coming in through the pipes in the kitchen wall, and was hanging out around our kitchen trash can, and underneath the kitchen sink cabinet. 

The way that the humane trap works is that the mouse goes into the trap, and once it goes into the trap far enough, a spring mechanism traps the mouse inside of the trap, shutting the little door closed on it. 

The mouse is then enclosed in the trap.

You can then take the trap out somewhere and set the mouse free again. 

There is a place in the trap where you can put some peanut butter in the trap, so that the mouse will go into the trap in order to eat the peanut butter. 

It did take a few tries before the mouse got trapped.

He/she did get the peanut butter a few times, but then the last time that he/she went to nibble at it, that set the trap off, and the mouse was caught. 

Nice idea of that trap, but I'm not driving a mouse in my car with me - alive! - to go let it out somewhere far away enough that it won't come back into my house.   If a mouse ventures into my house, it's gotta be a goner as far as I'm concerned.  No uninvited guests - they enter at their own peril!

Honored Contributor

I once heard an exterminator say he had to be tested for chemical toxicity occassionally.

That would freak me out.  They say that pesticides have been found to be linked to Alzheimers.  And can cause involuntary muscle twitches in humans.  Some people don't even realize it's occuring, they think they just have an eye twitch.

This guy sprinkled bait, and sprayed liquid without gloves or protective eyewear.

I couldn't believe it.

Honored Contributor

Many pesticides are neuro toxic; that is how they work.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼