Esteemed Contributor

Mass murderers-do their families and friends not see and recognize that they are disturbed

Or do they just pretend everything is just fine?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mass murderers-do their families and friends not see and recognize that they are disturbed

@KathyPet wrote:

I think that people may see signs but would never think in a million years that someone they know and love would do such a thing. His roommate said he often expressed a very negative opinion about blacks yet he was surprised when he heard he did this.

I have read about parents and family of other people who have committed similar crimes and they all say pretty much the same thing. Even mental health professionals who have seen killers who have gone on to do the same thing have been surprised by these actions.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Re: Mass murderers-do their families and friends not see and recognize that they are disturbed

What I can not believe is this young man has been saying things for months and even said he was going to kill on Wens...to his friends and not one felt they should report this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

As a general question, I would suspect IN MOST CASES, that they have an idea something is wrong, but that they have no idea that their family member is a mass murderer. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Even if his parents knew the kid was a loose cannon, he's 21. He can't be held in jail or a mental ward that easily.

Anyone know if he lived at home?
Honored Contributor

I also don't understand this, this happens again,and again.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:
Even if his parents knew the kid was a loose cannon, he's 21. He can't be held in jail or a mental ward that easily.

Anyone know if he lived at home?

I think I heard on CNN something about his roommate.  He told the judge he didn't have a job though.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

I think that people may see signs but would never think in a million years that someone they know and love would do such a thing. His roommate said he often expressed a very negative opinion about blacks yet he was surprised when he heard he did this.

I have read about parents and family of other people who have committed similar crimes and they all say pretty much the same thing. Even mental health professionals who have seen killers who have gone on to do the same thing have been surprised by these actions.

I agree. It is hard to imagine anyone you know committing these violent crimes.

Respected Contributor

Truth be told many of us know someone that we've thought was capable of causing some sort of tragedy. I'm willing to bet some of us have said it aloud.

That being said, knowing my child had difficulties and had gone from being a good student to dropping out of school in 9th grade, the last thing I'd do is buy him a gun for his birthday.

Honored Contributor

Bigotry is learned...it's not something you are born with. I would imagine his parents are bigots too and probaby expressed similar opinions.