Trusted Contributor

Re: Married at First Sight - The First Year (spoilers)

I agree with your comments, AngelPuppy, regarding Cortney.

I was shocked that she was going to leave for the Thanksgiving holiday, rather than stay around for Jason.

If you think about it too, (unless I am wrong) I think it's really the first holiday that he has away from his Mom, and the first holiday that they have together as a couple. Forget about the turkey, Cortney, and just think about that part.

He is already probably feeling pretty bad that he doesn't have any family anymore, and then his wife decides to do what she wants, and money is tight, too, and she doesn't seem to care.

Like some of you have said, they could have celebrated another day, and had a nice turkey dinner together then, or gone out to dinner then, or she could have perhaps had a nice snack prepared for when he came home later, like turkey salad even, or something like that.

When you are on a budget, you can still do nice things for each other, that don't have to cost a lot, and you can still buy turkey at the store and stretch it out for meals, too.

Honored Contributor

I've watched every episodes including the recent updates. I'm not sure about Cortney, I'll have to see how she handles the holidays. I think Jason is an awfully nice guy.

And Jamie (not Jaime!) has agreed to table the baby discussion for now. She finally understood that Doug is rather new at his job and wants their relationship to mature and to become more financially secure before they start a family. I was glad she saw the sense in this even though she is disappointed. And the counselor they talked to about this was very helpful to her.

I also thought she was really rushing the baby issue but hopefully they will have a long and happy life together.

It was good to see Monet again, I really like her. Vaughn, never cared much for him at all.

As for Cortney and Jason, I wish them well but I'm going to just wait and see at this point.

Honored Contributor

During that whole Thanksgiving thing I kept saying 'why not make your OWN Thanksgiving on his day off? Who cares what day it is? I can't make the call for what she should do, but I would have done something like that and then been home when the husband got home (well, unless I was at work) so he didn't feel alone.

But (and it's a BIG but!) then there are so many differences between Cortney and me, not the least of which is that she is very young and I'm, well, not. Smiley Happy Plus I don't really get the whole family thing to a great degree because I never had that. So I figure that I probably just don't really understand what she's feeling. I think she's just very young and I have a feeling that part of this was some of the creation of drama that they use to make things look more dire than they are.

I DO, however, think that she should have known what being a firefighter meant. Jason has gone into that and her family members being firemen - all of that would lead on to a full realization that firemen work on holidays and, of course, anybody who is the lowest on the 'time in grade' totem pole is going to be on the top of the 'work on holidays' list. That's just basic logic.

I think the bit with Jamie pushing the baby thing so hard might have been partially to create drama. Indeed, Doug has been very patient and I give him kudos for that. I loved the surprise birthday party she did for him. That whole thing was just great.

All that said, I still like all these kids and I like Monet also. I imagine that the reason Vaughn is hardly seen at all is that he might not have ended up so keen on the whole thing, especially because he came off looking pretty bad.

I enjoyed the Valentine's Day episode with the two couples, and Monet for one segment, getting together for 'dinner' and all the 'look-backs'. That was fun because some of the stuff wasn't seen in the series.

I'm enjoying the show and am glad I watched from the beginning of the original series, then this 'The First Year' series. I have a feeling the episodes will end soon, what with S02 of the 'Married At First Sight' season coming up next month. Smiley Sad I'll miss these kids if we don't see more of them. Maybe they'll do some special episodes from time to time like 'Little People Big World' was doing before they ended up having new seasons again.

I am curious as to how S02 is going to be, so I have kept my Season Pass and will look forward to that. The first season was really good, IMO. I feel like it will be hard to top that and not make it look more hokey than it needs to. This first season cast was so good!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/15/2015 croemer said:

I am seeing Courtney in a new light and it ain't good. I remember being a newly married woman and my husband having a job that took 15-18 hours a day. This went on for years and years. Yes it can be lonely, discouraging and takes work but we made it. She has not been willing to give this 6 months...it was too much for her? She knew what he had chosen for a profession, her family are all firemen...yet she puts pressure on him during his training? She is showing her immaturity.

I really like Jaime much more this season...she has a good heart. Yes...she is pressuring Doug to have a baby and I hope she relaxes and gives them this year or 2 to both settle in have a chance of some quality couple time...then having a baby. I think this is time for them to really get to know each other. I believe she is just wanting her own little family since she came from such a dysfunctional family.

Monet is so full of life and her ex-husband was such a downer...she made the right decision for "her."..to end that marriage and find what she really needs. I believe that marriage may have been such an eye opening experience that she now knows what she needs in a relationship and not to compromise but to wait for the right one. I hope...

Good thoughtful post. ITA

Trusted Contributor

On 2/15/2015 HisElk said:

We've been following this show too. As for Jamie, I was beginning to like her until all of the baby talk. Really? I'd rather take some time and enjoy life with my new husband for awhile. She's pushing him too hard IMO to have a baby. Doug has been very patient with her all throughout the process; particularly when she didn't have a connection with him which was very evident.

As for Cortney/Jason, their relationship I think could be in some trouble. Cortney comes from a family of fire fighters, so one would think she would understand. I can understand why she's upset about Thanksgiving, however, they could celebrate the next day. With the fact that she lost her job and has some high debt loans, buying a plane ticket to go home would not be the best thing at this time. Unless her family is willing to purchase the ticket, it's not in their best interest to spend that kind of money.

As for her starting up a new business, I'm not sure how she's going to make that happen with all of the start up costs, plus the debt she has.

Monet is a very beautiful woman and I'm glad she's going out on dates and enjoying herself. It's also interesting that we haven't seen what's going on with Vaughn.

I also saw a preview about a new Married at First Sight beginning sometime in the latter part of March.

The new season starts March 17th. Smile

Trusted Contributor

On 2/15/2015 northernlights said:

I agree with your comments, AngelPuppy, regarding Cortney.

I was shocked that she was going to leave for the Thanksgiving holiday, rather than stay around for Jason.

If you think about it too, (unless I am wrong) I think it's really the first holiday that he has away from his Mom, and the first holiday that they have together as a couple. Forget about the turkey, Cortney, and just think about that part.

He is already probably feeling pretty bad that he doesn't have any family anymore, and then his wife decides to do what she wants, and money is tight, too, and she doesn't seem to care.

Like some of you have said, they could have celebrated another day, and had a nice turkey dinner together then, or gone out to dinner then, or she could have perhaps had a nice snack prepared for when he came home later, like turkey salad even, or something like that.

When you are on a budget, you can still do nice things for each other, that don't have to cost a lot, and you can still buy turkey at the store and stretch it out for meals, too.

That's a good point about it being the first major holiday for Jason without his mom. Courtney could have been much more understanding.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/15/2015 chickenbutt said:

During that whole Thanksgiving thing I kept saying 'why not make your OWN Thanksgiving on his day off? Who cares what day it is? I can't make the call for what she should do, but I would have done something like that and then been home when the husband got home (well, unless I was at work) so he didn't feel alone.

But (and it's a BIG but!) then there are so many differences between Cortney and me, not the least of which is that she is very young and I'm, well, not. Smiley Happy Plus I don't really get the whole family thing to a great degree because I never had that. So I figure that I probably just don't really understand what she's feeling. I think she's just very young and I have a feeling that part of this was some of the creation of drama that they use to make things look more dire than they are.

I DO, however, think that she should have known what being a firefighter meant. Jason has gone into that and her family members being firemen - all of that would lead on to a full realization that firemen work on holidays and, of course, anybody who is the lowest on the 'time in grade' totem pole is going to be on the top of the 'work on holidays' list. That's just basic logic.

I think the bit with Jamie pushing the baby thing so hard might have been partially to create drama. Indeed, Doug has been very patient and I give him kudos for that. I loved the surprise birthday party she did for him. That whole thing was just great.

All that said, I still like all these kids and I like Monet also. I imagine that the reason Vaughn is hardly seen at all is that he might not have ended up so keen on the whole thing, especially because he came off looking pretty bad.

I enjoyed the Valentine's Day episode with the two couples, and Monet for one segment, getting together for 'dinner' and all the 'look-backs'. That was fun because some of the stuff wasn't seen in the series.

I'm enjoying the show and am glad I watched from the beginning of the original series, then this 'The First Year' series. I have a feeling the episodes will end soon, what with S02 of the 'Married At First Sight' season coming up next month. Smiley Sad I'll miss these kids if we don't see more of them. Maybe they'll do some special episodes from time to time like 'Little People Big World' was doing before they ended up having new seasons again.

I am curious as to how S02 is going to be, so I have kept my Season Pass and will look forward to that. The first season was really good, IMO. I feel like it will be hard to top that and not make it look more hokey than it needs to. This first season cast was so good!

I'm very curious about next season too. Looking forward to it! Smile

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing your POV, chickenbutt. Smile

I didn't think about some of the things that you mentioned, but now that I think about it, you are right about Cortney just being young, too.

I too am looking at things from someone who has been married a long time, and also from someone who is older. I also think that she was coming at it from an "emotional response" that was reactionary, and not from someone who would normally have time to think calmly, and then have time to respond.

Plus, like you said, there is the "reality TV" part of everything, and we can't forget about that, and what is edited, and what is done for drama and ratings, unfortunately.

I hope that they keep this particular series going, too, even if it just comes to an occasional special, like you mentioned. I really enjoy hearing about what everyone is up to.

I love hearing about Monet. I think that she is just so beautiful. She has such a vibrant and adorable personality! I hope that she finds someone to be with.

Trusted Contributor

Did anyone watch the latest episode yesterday? Courtney came back to an empty apartment and then they teased the next episode and she's with Jason and saying he's changed and she's crying. Doesn't look good.

Meanwhile Jamie has cooled her jets on the baby talk and instead seems preoccupied with how her mom is doing. Her mother is really being stupid by not coming around -- many other adult kids would've written their mom off after that kind of behavior and would not want any relationship. Poor Jamie is still like a child wanting her mother's approval.

Interesting seeing and listening to Vaughn. He was sure to mention Monet's name a few times in regard to why the marriage failed and how it was both their faults and they both learned. I guess he has a point, but I think she was the one who got the shorter end of the stick.

Honored Contributor

I didn't watch last night, it's on the DVR but from seeing the promos during the week I think that whole empty apartment thing is going to turn out to be that he emptied it into a storage unit and will be very selective as to what gets brought back or he found them a new apartment to live in.

It looked like everything was gone and if he was leaving her, why would he pack her stuff up too.